Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.N.R. Regulations

Milner

Phil,

I have tried getting these for the pre, Great War period, like Hens Teeth. I have the History of the RNR what contex is it in maybe we can work it out.

Regards Charles

Phil,

I have tried getting these for the pre, Great War period, like Hens Teeth. I have the History of the RNR what contex is it in maybe we can work it out.

Regards Charles

Charles

Before the war he was a 1st Officer (1st mate) in the merchant Navy, but enlisted in the army early 1915 R.A.M.C. then gets commissioned and transfered to the RNR, also mentioned is the Royal Engineers Inland waterways and docks. He was also on the SS Gallier 10-1-1918 when it was torpedoed and sunk.

So its all a bit confusing, I noticed that a lot of the RNR officers were reported drunk in the ADM240 records, so this seems a minor offence. Also interesting could this be class type social comment about him being "a rough diamond, but able" by Capt. Tomlin.

I think discharged refers more to being discharged from a ship or RNR back to the R.E. but would like to know what the regulation was.

I have typed the record from adm240 below, as the scan is to big to attach.

Temp sub-Lieut.

19-4-16

Temp act-Lieut.

22-10-16

"Pembroke sup" = 20-6-16 sent to Humber to navigate Lighter "Flagon" to Dover

24-6-16 Victory for Simoom & Ceto for Simoom, OF Commg.

Reported for misconduct 1. drunk on shore 2. absent without leave 3. having an altercation with a private soldier-

Discharged under art: 143 of the RNR regulations

p.m. 2/7/17 - Commission returned with papers N42/28066/17

undated Sat:Av: (a) A "rough diamond" but able. Capt. Tomlin

C.W. 11.11.18 re-employment refused =

Thanks Phil

Phil,

Quite a career, Temporary Officers where entered into the RNR “for special purposes” Ill post what it says in the history. To navigate lighters from the Humber to Dover was no mean feat, that’s taking a flat bottom boat into the open sea. This also works in with the RE inland waterways who used RNR officers to move the lighters up and down the English Channel. Off to earn a crust now see what I can come up with later.

Regards Charles

post-7039-1139210811.jpg

Thanks Charles, I liked the attached piece about these men, I didn't know the context of their commissons, indeed the RNR man listed on the opposite page to my grandfather in adm40 had been awarded a VC. But for the life of me I can't remember his name now. Any further information about the RNR would be great.

Regards

Phil