Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Elusive casualty

Hywyn

I am having problems positively identifying 5 casualties on my local Memorial.

One such is William H Thomas.

Newpaper report dated 21st Aug 1917 states that his mother had received notification that he had 'fallen on the battlefield in France' on 27th July 1917. Another report dated 4th September gives same details re a Memorial Service at a local Chaple.

I have scoured the CWGC under W H , W W (in one of the reports) and W Thomas for or around the 27th July with no luck - not even a possible.

Is it possible for casualties to be on SDGW and not CWGC?

Could a Pal with access to the SDGW CD please have a look?

Address = Porth Noddfa, Clwt y Bont. Other place names that may be used = Cwm y Glo, Ebenezer or Caernarfonshire

Every possibility that he was RWF as the vast majority were of that Regiment.

TIA

Hywyn

There are many names on local memorials which cannot be found. There are a variety of reasons for this.

They could have served under another name, died after the CWGC cut-off date, died after discharge, not qualified for war grave status etc.

There are without doubt some names missing from the CWGC list but nobody can logically give a figure as, by definition, nobody knows who they are!

SDGW records that Pte Hugh William T. was killed in action on 28/7/17 whilst with 15th Welsh. He enlisted Brighton. resided Cwm-y-Glo and was formerly 2887, Sussex Yeomanry.

This is his CWGC entry - clickety click

John

John and Terry

Thank you, thank you. It's a great feeling identifying the 'elusive ' ones and I thank you for contributing to that feeling.

Roxy

The link took me to the Cemeteries and memorials forum and I scanned through a few pages. Do you recall the Topc Heading or roughly how long ago. If you meant the CWGC.co.uk site then I am aware of it and have a look every now and then. Just need to get my thoughts together to write to it.

Thanks

Hywyn

Re my last post. On reflection thank you for causing not contributing the great feeling.

I'm also not kicking myself for not doing a basic search of inverting the initials. I shoulsd be RTU'd for being so sloppy :rolleyes::lol:

Hywyn