Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PRIVATE J. LIPTROT LALA BABA

Ken Devitt

My late brother had a dreadful habit of repeating stories to a point that a bullet to the brain would have been a merciful release from the boredom. One such story involved a young Englishman by the name of Liptrot who landed at Suvla with the Dublin Fusiliers.

Liptrot was with my grandfather and apparently suffering very badly from Dysentery. Rather than offend the men around him, he left the safety of cover to relieve himself only to be shot by a sniper. Fact or fiction I just don't know but recently I came upon a Private J. Liptrot 22041 6th bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers, KIA 15.9.15

and buried at LaLa Baba cemetery.

If any friends on the forum have access to SDGW and/or records I would be most grateful if you could dig up any further information on Private Liptrot.

As yet I am still uncertain if my grandfather is the same man entered on the medal card as: James Keogh 13283, R.Dub.Fus. C. of. Lrs. L/14921. Any ideas or information would be most welcome.

In anticipation,

Ken

Hello Ken,

From ireland's Memorial Records:

Liptrot, James. Reg. no. 22041. Rank Private, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 6th Battalion. Killed in Action, Gallipoli, September 15th, 1915. Born Blackburn.

If you would like a copy of the entry send me a PM with your email address.

Regards,

Liam.