The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jones Samuel Joseph AOC

Guest rosscowilson

Guest rosscowilson

Researching Samuel Joseph Jones

Private S/5458 AOC

Entered war 15/08/14 & survived

Died age 53 years 17/01/33 at Portsmouth.

Career soldier.

Does anyone know any information about this soldier??

Regards

Rossco

You can search for his medal index card online from the National Archives [search this website for specific links] and you have a 40% chance of finding his service record at National Archives

Look at the Long Trail [parent site to this one] for much useful help in this search!

Alan

Guest rosscowilson

Alan,

I already have a copy of the medal index card, his death certificate & his daughters birth certificate (My grandmother now deceased). The medal index card & the birth certificate show the same service number with one slight exception. The medal index card shows s/5458 & the birth certificate just shows 5458. The death certificate gives occupation as Army Pensioner with no rank or other details.

The only other info I have is copies of 5 enteries in the AOC Gazette which all relate to Private S or J Jones 5458 & detail pay increases, training, transfers & most importantly a re-engagement for 21 years dated March 1910, which combined with his occupation on the death certificate & my grandmothers stories about growing up as a child (born 1912), prove that he was a career soldier.

I also have a census record from the 1901 census for a Samuel Joseph Jones Private age 22 serving with the RMA at the Eastney Barracks in Portsmouth. But I am not sure this is the same person.

I have made enq on the catalogue of the NA website which reveal that the service record for SJ Jones no 5458 is still held by the MOD because he continued to serve after 1920 & is only available under restricted conditions. I am currently in the process of trying to obtain a copy of that record.

I have read a fair bit of the website 1914-1918 but not all of it yet. I find it very interesting.

I note your surname is Jones is this just coincidence or is there a possible connection??

I live in outback Australia which makes access difficult.

Regards

Rossco

Rossco,

G'day!

You should be able to obtain his army service record from the MOD, but it requires payment and it is necessary to be either the next of kin, or have permission from the next of kin to obtain the records.

If you are already on that trail then it is a question of time.

If you do not have any further idea of his battalion or unit then there is not much more you can look into until such time as you have that info. (Unless the MIC gives his unit).

Ian

Cost at present is £35-00

All The Best

chris

dear Rossco

Good you are well on the way. There are possibly other records of the RMA at the National Archives [muster records etc?] - but whether the Royal Navy have some as well is worth enquiring.

My grandfather was Sgt [Edward - not used] Samuel Jones RGA and killed at Ypres 8 May 1915. He served pre war from the early 1890s and also at the Portsdown and Solent Forts off and on [and Malta, Gib, Cork Londonderry and possibly India]

Alan