Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MUTINY 1918 - 19

Rodge Dowson

Does anyone know of any mutinous actions that might have involved men of the Manchester Regiment in 1918 - 1919 period?

Thanks Rodge

PS

The question relates to my research about 301 Private John Ward DCM & MM 2nd & 17th Manchesters.

Rodge

From your other posts, I am assuming that 17/Manc was his second unit and, therefore, the one he'd have been in. In which case, there is nothing in the War Diary, Battalion History or anything that's cropped up in my research into the Battalion, that would suggest a mutiny. By April 1918, they had been pretty much decimated. They at not much above cadre level (which they became shortly after).

John

There was a lot of unrest in the armed services in the months after the Armistice in many parts of the UK and perhaps overseas, due to impatience over demobilisation and resentment at being posted overseas, eg to Russia. I posted my Wiltshire-related notes on these last year and won't repeat them here, especially as they don't include anything specific to your enquiry. Some of the unrest could be tied to specific units, in other cases soldiers might have got stroppy as individuals. My impression is that some extreme actions were punished but not much was done in many cases.

Moonraker

Hi Rodger

Have you look at Andrew Rothstein Book "The Soldiers' Strikes of 1919" ISBN 0 333 27693 0. published by The Macmillan Press Ltd 1980. cheers Roy :P

Hi Rodger

Have you look at Andrew Rothstein Book "The Soldiers' Strikes of 1919" ISBN 0 333 27693 0. published by The Macmillan Press Ltd 1980. cheers Roy :P

Hello Roy, hows things?

I did not know of the book thanks, I also note from othr posts that you still have some Royal Scots Manchester lads photos?

Any chance you could scan them?

All the best,

301 Private J Ward is proving very interesting but tricky to research.

Hi Rodger

Its Long time for both of us.

Can you give me his page No of hes MIC and i will have a look, My data for the Manchester regt is coming on fine cheers Roy, PS pm me with your E-mail so i can send you the scand photos.

Hi Rodger

IIRC this book mentions a mutiny or two that took place in Russia.

I asked about them in this forum 2 or 3 years ago, and it turns out that these events were not mentioned in the units War Diary.

This is all from memory, but a search will probably yield more details.

There used to be some sort of left wing museum in Manchester. If this is still going they might know something.

BeppoSapone said:
IIRC this book mentions a mutiny or two that took place in Russia.

I asked about them in this forum 2 or 3 years ago, and it turns out that these events were not mentioned in the units War Diary.

This is all from memory, but a search will probably yield more details.

There used to be some sort of left wing museum in Manchester. If this is still going they might know something.

I tried a search and found the thread that I mentioned.

If I have done this right this link ought to take you to the topic:

Possibly the People's History Museum - which should be on the visit list of every every traveller to the City.

Link to website

Thanks Beppo & John

Hi Rodger

Roy got a copy of 'Soldier's Strikes 1919' yesterday - most useful......

Regards Rodge -

Guest Simon Bull
Rodge

From your other posts, I am assuming that 17/Manc was his second unit and, therefore, the one he'd have been in. In which case, there is nothing in the War Diary, Battalion History or anything that's cropped up in my research into the Battalion, that would suggest a mutiny. By April 1918, they had been pretty much decimated. They at not much above cadre level (which they became shortly after).

John

Could I ask exactly what the phrase "cadre level" means?

Could I ask exactly what the phrase "cadre level" means?

Simon

It means that a unit had been all but disbanded, all but but not quite.

Enough trained people in essential and important jobs had been retained so that, if required, the battalion could be built up to strength with drafts of reinforcements.

WW1 pedants: I know that this may not be the correct terminology. I have tried to write this so that a person who doesn't know what "cadre level" means would understand it.

Simon

After the fighting of April, what remained of 17/Manchester were withdrawn from the fighting and went on to train arriving American National Guard regiments during the summer of 1918. Most were then transferred to other units in the late summer, leaving a cadre of about 40.

John