Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trouble with London Gazzette

Clive Temple

Captain E. Holtby of 1/4 East Yorks noted in Btn. diary as having been awarded MC (17 Jan 1915) but I cannot find any entry in LG. Searched Holtby and ticked MC drop down, in fact I don't seem to have any luck on that site any more with any of my searches. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Clive

Here are a few references for Captain (later Major) Edmond Holtby:

Promotion from Captain to Major is here

There's a Thomas Holtby noted as being promoted to Capt on 17th October 1916: here

Promotion from Temp Capt to Capt is here

Awarded the Military Cross is here

Promoted from Lieutenant to Captain is here

I've only checked the Gazette issues for 1915 to 1919 inclusive so you may find other references in 1914 issues and earlier. I just keyed in "Holtby" (without the quotation marks) and got 34 results.

Paul

Clive

Here are a few references for Captain (later Major) Edmond Holtby:

Promotion from Captain to Major is here

There's a Thomas Holtby noted as being promoted to Capt on 17th October 1916: here

Promotion from Temp Capt to Capt is here

Awarded the Military Cross is here

Promoted from Lieutenant to Captain is here

I've only checked the Gazette issues for 1915 to 1919 inclusive so you may find other references in 1914 issues and earlier. I just keyed in "Holtby" (without the quotation marks) and got 34 results.

Paul

Cheers Paul, so choosing MC from the drop down doesn't seem to work?

It hasn't worked for me in the past but maybe I've been doing something wrong too. It does tend to be a tricky beast but nevertheless still a good resource if you have the patience (and the person you're researching isn't called SMITH).

He was in the Army pre-war:

LG 16-4-1912

4th Battalion, The East Y.orkshire Regiment.;

Edmond Holtby to be Second Lieutenant.

Dated 4th March, 1912.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

LG 5-9-1913

4th Battalion, The East Yorkshire Regiment;

Second Lieutenant Edmond Holtby to be

Lieutenant. Dated 14th June, 1913.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

Steve certainly seems to have a way with the gazettes online, most of us have a few problems with it. Don't tell me Steve, you wrote the damn programme :lol:

Andy

The Royalty cheque's late then..... :(

Even if I did I wouldn't own up to it!!

Then again, it's better than the Times Online (smaller print = dodgier translation) !!!

It is a matter of knowing what form the entries are likely to take at various points in time. Perhaps I should organise a "masterclass" ? :ph34r:

Steve.

It is a matter of knowing what form the entries are likely to take at various points in time. Perhaps I should organise a "masterclass" ? :ph34r:

Steve.

Oh yes please Steve!

That thing makes me more befuddled than I already am!

You DO have the knack - please share the secrets

A great resource and I'm glad it's there but I usually end up trawling through whole issues and even years of issues looking for what I need

Caryl

Perhaps I should organise a "masterclass" ?

That wouldn't be a bad idea at all, perhaps Chris could even find a place on the LLT mother site to host it?. The Gazette is undoubtedly a very useful tool which can either return the results you want immediately or, infuriatingly, lead to hours of frustration.

A basic guide as to how to use it effectively would surely be a welcome addition.

Steve

Perhaps I should organise a "masterclass" ? :ph34r:

Steve.

This is a good idea Steve. It's a most tricky beast to master. Can we all share your experience, er.. unless you like doing look ups. :D Tim

There is a handy site offering hints and tips for using the London Gazette search engine:

http://www.forrestdale.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/LGTips.html

It contains some useful advice but still doesn’t solve all the problems. Worth a look though.

Regards

Mark