Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thai nurses in the trenches

Guest sharon

Hello, I am a history teacher in an International School in Thailand and am really keen to find out information about whether Thai nurses worked in the trenches.

Any information and help would be gratefully received.

Thank you so much!

sharon

Guest gumbirsingpun

hi there

if my memory serves me right, all of south east asia were colonised except Thailand were colonised by the british, so the chances are that they cant have fought for the british troops, i have never come across any thai casualities in my researches

regards

tuna

Guest gumbirsingpun

hi there

if my memory serves me right, all of south east asia were colonised except thailand,so the chances are that they cant have fought for the british troops, i have never come across any thai casualities in my researches

regards

tuna

1300 Thai soldiers were sent to France in 1918. If you do a search in "Units and Formations" section of this Forum you will find a thread with more information.

Welcome to the Forum Sharon.

Myrtle

Hi Sharon

Not sure if you have seen this article here but it seems likely as quoted that Thai nurses did serve in the trenches.

Cheers

Hi Sharon

Raster Scanning beat me to it with the above post. Does Thailand have national military archives comparable to Britain's Imperial War Museum? Finding out and researching them might make an interesting project for students at the International School.

I checked the UK's National Archives held at Kew and noted several WWI files, eg WO 106/62 (internment of enemy agents in Siam, FO383/539 (repatriation of prisoners of war ... from Siam) and some about decorations and awards to and from the smaller Allied countries.

Sharon, you're probably wondering if this is really relevant to your query, and the answer is no, but a feature of this Forum is that a question like yours can set some of us off looking into it and recording our findings and sometimes asking supplementary questions. I checked the Oxford University library catalogue and could find no title that indicated a history of Siam's history during WWI, and I wonder if one has been written. If not, with the war's centenary approaching, there might be scope for one.

Moonraker