Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching RGA Grandfather

Guest P1LGR1M

Hi

I came here by the magic of Google and this is my first post.

I am trying to research my Grandfather's WW1 service history.

Family legend has it that as he was a fine horseman he served in the Royal Horse Artillery but his medal card shows this not to be the case - Although I understand that he may well have worked with horses in the RGA.

He was born in 1899 and rumour has it that he gave a false age on enlistment.

Whilst waiting in Plymouth to embark for France, he met the woman that was to become my Grandmother - He married her on his return from the war.

Medal card info :

Hensworth Frederick H RGA GNR 80939

Victory RGA/143B 4256

British do do

All other sections on the card are blank

I know that he served in France but I guess not before 1916 as he didn't qualify for the star.

I am now looking for ways to obtain more information so any hints /tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Jerry

Welcome to the forum Jerry,

You've taken the first step on the journey to discovering what your Grandfather did during the Great War, for good background information go to the LLT mother site, you should find all you need to know there as to what a Gunner did in the RGA.

As for records etc. your next step, and you may not want to hear this, is a trip for you (or someone on your behalf) to the NA at Kew as it cannot be done online unfortunately.

Armed with the reference RGA/143B 4256 you'll need to convert that into a Medal Roll WO95/XXXX reference using the books at the NA. The Medal Rolls put the 'meat on the MIC bones' as it were. This will give you some additional details and maybe the RGA unit he served with although I'm not too sure just how good the RGA Medal Rolls are for this.

Additionally you can check to see if his Service Record survives, figures quoted vary but there is a 30% chance that it may have done. You'll need to check out the 'Burnt' series WO363 and also 'Unburnt' series WO364 and PIN26 for possibilities.

Hope this helps for starters.

Regards

Steve

Hi I don't know if this is any good to you. Olwyn

Description Medal card of Hensworth, Frederick H

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Garrison Artillery 80939 Gunner

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/9

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Hampton E - Holland D

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Number of image files: 1

Image Reference Format and Version Part Number Size (KB) Number of Pages Price (£)

152335 / 42428 PDF 1.2 1 369 1 3.50

Total Price (£) 3.50

Hensworth Frederick H RGA GNR 80939

Victory RGA/143B 4256

British do do

Thanks for your prompt and helpful responses.

Steve - I guess I will be making that trip to Kew at some time in the future.

It's quite daunting but I need to learn as much as possible beforehand to maximise my time there.

Hopefully I can combine this research with that of another relative who fought in the Zulu wars.

Roop - Thanks for your input. 1915 sounds about right to me.

Olwyn - The medal card info you mentioned sounds like the one that started me off.

Mine cost the same to download and seems to contain the same detail.

Thanks again

Jerry