The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Bn., South Staffordshire Regiment

johnbeddows

Private JOHN HENRY BEDDOWS

17215, 7th Bn., South Staffordshire Regiment

who died

on 09 September 1916

One of three BEDDOWS boys from GARSTON who went to war WW1, two never returned.

Have got info from CWGC

Any other info please

John

hi john on sdgw disc has the following JOHN HENRY BEDDOWS BORN IRONBRIDGE SALOP ENLISTED HEDNESFORD RESIDENCE CANNOCK K.I.A 9/9/1916 BERTRAM BEDDOWS BORN IRONBRIDGE SALOP ENLISTED LIVERPOOL RESIDENCE ------- FORMLEY 9939 LIVERPOOL REG K.I.A 24/10/1917 hope this helps

John,

He gets a mention in the war diary for that date, unusual for a Private. I'll look it out and post a copy later this evening.

Roy

Hi there, many thanks for both your replies, both give me more info on both great uncles, I have where they are buried one at Tyne Cot and Oviler.

I am abit confused because on military details it is John Henry Beddows but on census it is Henry John as their brother John also enlisted, he was my Grandfather, he was the lucky one and returned home and died 1964. I only found this out after speaking to a second cousin who told me that my grandfather also signed up, there was a picture of all three men in uniform which does not exist now, which is a shame.

The fact that he is mentioned in a war diary is also of great interest and look forward to your posting later.

Thanks once again John

John,

Sadly he only gets mentioned in the diary as a casualty. I have copied (on five posts) the pages covering 1st - 9th September to put the action in context. The writer seems to have had a problem with his dates - see what you make of it. Here is the first;

2nd Page

3rd Page

4th Page

5th Page

hi john on sdgw disc has the following JOHN HENRY BEDDOWS BORN IRONBRIDGE SALOP ENLISTED HEDNESFORD RESIDENCE CANNOCK K.I.A 9/9/1916 BERTRAM BEDDOWS BORN IRONBRIDGE SALOP ENLISTED LIVERPOOL RESIDENCE ------- FORMLEY 9939 LIVERPOOL REG K.I.A 24/10/1917 hope this helps

Hi Steve, do you have dates for when they enlisted? still confused as change of name for JH Beddows as on census he is HJ Beddows?

Could you see if you can find the other brother John DOB 1900 and when he enlisted(this could be Liverpool)?

Thanks John