The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B" Coy. 15th Bn., Cheshire Regiment

johnbeddows

Private BERTRAM BEDDOWS

33523, "B" Coy. 15th Bn., Cheshire Regiment

who died age 21

on 24 October 1917

My great uncle, one of three BEDDOWS boys who went to war WW1, two never returned.

I have got info from CWGC

Any other info please

John

John

On 22nd October, 16/Cheshire attacked north of Poelcapelle. It was a success and, in the evening, they were relieved by 15/Cheshire from their positons at "Colombo House". 15/Cheshire then held the position for a couple of days (or so). I don't have the details of when they were relieved.

The Regimental Hisotry records during its time in the line the Battalion had to fight off several counter-attacks and "was very much harassed by low-flying aircraft. But they held on to their line and repulsed all attempts to drive them back." During the tour of duty they lost 22 killed and 75 wounded.

The only other useful bit of information I have is that Bertram's service number is consistent with him enlisting around early 1916.

John

Hi John,

Many thanks for your reply, this posting is connected to my other posting entitled

7th Bn., South Staffordshire Regiment, WW1

which has had a number of replies that gives further details of both great uncles.

Your info really helps in gaining info on both Great Uncles and also my Grandfather who also signed up but returned home, he was John Beddows, I dont have much on him, as I only found out by talking to a second cousin who is alot older than me about a photo/picture of all three boys in uniform.

Thanks once again John