Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

103 Sqdn casualty 1918

Hywyn

I am researching the War Memorial casualties of my home community.

2nd Lt Robert Emrys Owen is on CWGC as having died on 18 th Sept 1918. He was with 103 Sqdn. Newspaper reports indicate that he was reported missing in France, having been there a few weeks.

I gather there is an Airmen Died in the Great War index and I 'm hoping that a Pal can provide me with information contained about him in that or any other source.

I have another from the area who was definitely in the RFC/RAF. Newpaper reports have him home on leave from training in Nov 1917. I'm having problems identifying him on CWGC.

Details are

Willie R Roberts/William R Roberts Address Shop Gron, Clwt y Bont, Caernarfonshire.

TIA

Hywyn

Hello,

Lt. T.M. Phillips and 2Lt. R.E. Owen were kia on 18/9/1918 flying DH9

Were hit at 11-40 am nw Lille by AA.

Other members will be able to give You more info.

Regards,

Cnock

Cnock and Terry

Great info. Takes me forward a lot.

From your experience am I right in assuming that Lt Phillips was the pilot and 2ns Lt Owen the 'bomber' or'gunner' - correct term?

Many thanks

Hywyn

Hywyn

Just to add a little to the posts by Cnock and Terry, D5572 was a DH 9 built under licence by Alliance Aeroplane Co/Waring and Gillow Ltd, of Hammersmith, in batch D5551 to D5850. It went to France with No 103 Sqn RAF on 9 May 1918. On 18 September 1918 the aeroplane left Serny aerodrome at 0950 on a bombing raid on Haubourdin; it was seen to spin and crash, and was presumed to have been hit by anti-aircraft fire.

I hope this helps

Gareth