Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Artist

Guest anne

I am seeking sources of information on my Great Uncle Private Donald Robert Johnston, RAMC, 1915, aged 22, possibly stationed at Colchester at this time, born in Hackney. He is noted on his marriage certificate 18/09/1915 as "Private, Royal Army Medical Corps (Artist)" with an address in Colchester. Can any one guide me to sources of information on what this post would have involved? I have done a google search without result. I have not yet been to the National Archives. Thankyou.

Anne

I've had a quick look on the NA Medal Index Cards online and can find no Donald, Donald Robert, Donald R., D. or D. R. JOHNSTON'S having served in the Royal Army Medical Corps.

There is however a Donald JOHNSTONE who could be your man, I've posted a link to the relevant details Here

I hope he's the right man.

Happy hunting

Steve

He is noted on his marriage certificate 18/09/1915 as "Private, Royal Army Medical Corps (Artist)"

I may be completely off track here but does that mean you're looking for information on what an 'Artist' did in the Royal Army Medical Corps? If so I think you'll find that the information on his marriage certificate actually means that at the time he was a Private in the RAMC but was an 'Artist' in Civilian life, i.e. before he joined up.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Anne

I've had a quick look on the NA Medal Index Cards online and can find no Donald, Donald Robert, Donald R., D. or D. R. JOHNSTON'S having served in the Royal Army Medical Corps.

There is however a Donald JOHNSTONE who could be your man, I've posted a link to the relevant details Here

I hope he's the right man.

Happy hunting

Steve