Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Sherwood Foresters

Hywyn

I am researching the war casualties of my home community in North Wales. The vast majority were Royal Welsh Fusiliers. However Pte 74144 William R Jones was with the 10th Sherwood Foresters and was killed/died 6th September 1918.(CWGC)

The mother site of this forum shows this date to fall in between two battles - Bapaume and Havingcourt.

I am hoping that a Pal could indicate whether he was KIA, DoW etc and if KIA does anyone have the War Diary to indicated what happened that day?

TIA

Hywyn

SDGW CD:-

William Robert Jones.

He was kia formerly 44291 Royal Welch Fusiliers.

Born Llanddriniden resided Ebenezer, Carnarvon

Enlisted Wrexham

Stuart

Many thanks. I notice you are an old sweat with 'near enough first member' reg no am I right in thinking that knowing he was KIA advances my quest slightly inasmuch as whatever the War Diaries state the battalion were doing on that date then any casualties most probably include the subject of my research? Or is this a different query I should raise in the Forum?

Hywyn

hello

Here is the relevant text from the 10/Foresters History. Couple of possibilites perhaps:-

1) Killed during the fighting on the 5th - but not reported killed until the following day?

2) Killed on the 6th - maybe during trench relief?

cheers

Mike

post-4619-1138827001.jpg

Hywyn,

Mike gave you a scan of Lt. W.N. Hoyte's book above so I thought I'd check out Cliff Housley's 'A History of the 10th Battalion'. This latter book is really just the war diary in different words.

Prepare for confusion. According to the battalion roll of honour in Housley, William Robert Jones was "Killed in Action 9/9/18 when the battalion was marcing to Rocquigny". There is no supporting evidence in the text. Either Cliff knew something or it's a typo.

Battalion casualties (killed in action) 5th-9th September according to 'Soldiers Died' are:

5th = 7

6th = 1 (William)

7th= 0

8th = 0

9th = 0

I've got to say that the 9th looks unlikely.