Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Regiment?

Jaycee33

This is my great uncle,George Bates.He was born in Durham.Could anyone please identify his regiment as I know nothing about him and have just found this photograph.

Living in hope(again).

John

post-3326-1138719638.jpg

John,

Agree with Langley on this one as collar badges on Service Dress are a post 1918 introduction.

Graham.

Many thanks for all your help.Another mystery cleared up(apart from what a Durham lad was diong in the Somersets)

John

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Another mystery cleared up(apart from what a Durham lad was diong in the Somersets)

As you probably know both Durham and Somerset (together with other counties - Yorkshire, Cornwall, Shropshire etc) raised Light Infantry battalions.

I have noticed that you get groups of men from non-Somerset Counties, but from other Light Infantry Recruiting areas often appearing in the Somerset Light Infantry ranks. For example, at the beginning of the war groups of Durham men got into the 7th Somersets because they were looking to make it up to a full battalion and were short of volunteers. As the war progressed divisions changed to have a central replacement depot and men would have been allocated in part according to need amongst the constituent battalions. As Light Infantry Divisions (eg 14th, 20th) held mainly Light Infantry battalions it was not uncommon for replacements to come from all Light Infantry recruiting areas (and a few others as well!).

This might be an explanation if he served in the war as I don't know when the uniform change took place.

Regards,

Brendon.

Many thanks Brendan.

It`s a problem when there are no family members left to ask and it makes you wish you had taken an interest when you had the chance,but I suppose that`s what makes the Forum such a great place!

Thanks again

John

Many thanks for all your help.Another mystery cleared up(apart from what a Durham lad was diong in the Somersets)

John

After the New Armies were recruited, the luxury of sending men to a ' home ' batallion could not really be borne. After 1916, when conscription was started, you went where you were needed. I'll bet that there is an expert on the forum who knows how men were allocated. By 1918, Londoners in Highland regiments and Geordies in the Middlesex battalions was run of the mill. An actual example, GF number 1, enlisted 1914 and was in 8th Black Watch, as expected since he joined up in Dundee. 18 months later, GF number 2 is called up, in Dundee, and is put into Seaforth Highlanders. They come from Inverness and parts north. I'll bet your Gt Uncle learned to like scrumpy fairly quickly. :)