Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Wales Borderers

Hywyn

I am researching the war casualties of my home village.

I've positively identified the following three men ( on CWGC) as being with the 10th SWB.

Whereas I can follow the activities of the 10th on the mother site and also from the activities of the 17th RWF who were in the same Brigade ( I have the RWF Reg Records) I am looking a couple of bits of info to confirm newspaper entries etc

Firstly I am hoping that a Pal with access to SDGW ( or any other source) can tell me if they were KIA, DoW or Died etc

Secondly I am hoping that...ah I think I have to await the result of the above first.

Pte Owen E Williams 8th Oct 1918 ( Newspaper states he was killed)

Pte 144152 John Percy Roberts 20th Oct 1918

Pte 48735 David O Owen 2nd March 1919

Hywyn

Hywyn,

Below are the entries for the names you've given. Two tie up - 10th Btn, but the one for John Roberts is the only John Roberts that died on/near that date.... he was in the Royal Munster Fusiliers.

Les

Les

Much appreciated.

I recall having problems in identifying John Percy Roberts on CWGC but eventually did so as being this one in the 10th SWB ( address match)

CWGC are down at the moment being revamped so I coudn't access and I looked in my saved files but couldn't find his. This so I could double check my info prior to posting.

I've looked again and found him, misfiled ( sack the filing clerk :D )

He's on there as Pte P Roberts.

Could I possibly impose once again on your good will?

Hywyn

Les

Much obliged.

Fault all mine. I put his date as the 20th in my original post even though it's the 22nd in my notes etc. (if there was a red faced smiley I'd put it here)

Strange he's on CWGC as P though. Maybe it's a typo.

WelshDoc

Thanks for the tip. I've had a quick try out on it and it seems to be better somehow - either that or I'm getting used to having broadband!

Hywyn

Having established that Pte 25379 Owen E Williams was KIA 8th Oct 1918 thanks to answers to this thread I went to have a look at downloading the War Diaries from NA Online. Unfortunately they're not there yet. As I've yet to suss out how to get them from Kew is there a Pal with access to the Diaries ( 10th Battalion SWB) showing their action for the 8th Oct. I have the Reg Records for the RWF which shows that the 17th RWF were in the same Brigade (115th) and they were involved in an attack ( zero at 1 am) on a strongly held position around a village called Villers Outreux. By 11.15am the final objective was reached. It was memorable battle inasmuch as it brought the battalion through the entire enemy fortifications and into the civiliam inhabited country beyond. The people of Clary gave them a great reception with tricolour flag flying from every house.

Liberators at last!!!

TIA

Hywyn