Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

E50 Ramming U-Boat

ashton

Hello,

I have just been reading "A Dammed Un-English Weapon by Edward Grey" and he describes an

incident in which E50 rammed a U-Boat (both vessels were running blind, underwater). As the

U-Boat was the more damaged of the two E50 flooded her tanks and kept the U-boat submerged

until all noises stopped and she was believed sunk. After the war it was learned that the U-Boat

had managed to limp home and was repaired.

Does anyone know the date of the incident or the identity of the U-Boat?

Derek Riley

Derek,

The incident happened on April 19, 1917 and the U-boat involved was UC 62. She was not substantially damaged in the incident, returned home (Flanders ports) and was back at sea 10 days later on a normal turn time between patrols given the nature of her assignments.

Best wishes,

Michael

Derek,

Following German reports minelayer UC 62 was with the bow resting on the British E 50.

Depth meter of UC 62 suddenly indicated 5 mtrs instad of 11 mtrs.

With engines running backwards, the UC 62 got away.

Regards,

Cnock

Michael & Cnock

Thank you both for the information it's just what I wanted. I now know that the Sailor I'm researching was part of the crew of E50 at the time of the incident. It also suggests that the version of events in my book is perhaps over dramatic and as I see it two submarines in an underwater collision is exciting enough without the purple prose.

Regards

Derek

'Die UC-Boote der Kaiserlichen Marine 1914-1918'

H.Bendert

Verlag Mittler 2001

Cnock