Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Men from Barry, South Glamorgan

Ferguson73uk

Having now completed my research on my Great Uncle Ossie (RMLI and Worcs.), I'm desperate to get my teeth into another project. I'm about to start some research into the men from Barry (then South Glamorgan) who served and died in the Army in WW1. They are commemorated on the Roll of Honour in the Foyer at Barry Memorial Hall. If anyone has a similar interest or has any information to share please get in touch.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, good luck in your research, Im from penarth. I dont have anything specific on Barry so cant help at this time. Ill keep my eyes open though. gareth

Thanks, Gareth (I work in Penarth!) Incidentally, just realised how my title for this thread could be misinterpreted!!! Hope the comedians on this board don't go to town!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

I do not have an interest in Men from Barry!!!!! but here is one to have a look at - Private William Holland (266469) 2nd Monmouthshire Regiment. Born in Barry Dock and enlisted Swansea. KIA on the 12th April 1918

All the best

David

Just finished typing the list into my computer from the CWGC site and he was the last one on the list. Why did you choose him?

Actually, an interesting point has already arisen. Should the Roll of Honour in Barry Memorial Hall contain:

a) men who resided in Barry B) were born in Barry or c) enlisted in Barry? It seems that it covers all three but not consistently. I'll have to find out what criteria they used. I think I'll go for soldiers who resided in Barry before they enlisted: a list that already includes two MM winners.

Jonathan

hi jonathan, i vaguely remember there was a Moore South wales borderers i think Barry dock or palmeston, is this correct? gareth

David,

Holland was born in Barry and enlsited in Swansea, but there's no residence listed in SDGW. He doesn't appear on the Barry Roll of Honour list I have just received either. Do you have his papers?

Regards,

Jonathan