Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RUM

Devils Own

Wasn't there a family called Lascelles, with extensive sugar plantations in the West Indies?

Don't the Lascelles family still have interests in certain brands of rum?

Of course, a family would need to be 'well connected' to have had any influence over what was purchased for Tommy Atkins to drink.

The Lascelles family were well connected, and still are, Viscount Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood, is the Queens cousin.

At one time, small beer was extensively brewed by women at home,

Small beer from the little lady. Sounds pretty good to me.

Roland.

Rum is quicker to produce than whisky.

Aging is between 0 and 10 years - although 0 year rum isn't very pleasant.

Practically one year aging is the minimum.

zoo

I think that the relatives of the Lascelles (sp?) still live at Harewood House in Yorkshire. Made lots of money from slavery and dodgy dealings with Government (tax aviodance/evasion, paying off MPs etc) according to a recent BBC docu-drama.

Still think that officers would prefer whisky to whiskey!

Roxy

This post has gone on for longer than I anticipated. Obviously hit a subject close to people's hearts.

I think that the 'real' small beer was made before it became the norm to adds hops to the brew. I have been told that they have a preservative quality and without them it is not possible to brew beer for long enough to get the alcohol levels up or to allow it to be kept for very long. I am not a brewer so I have no opinion on this.

I have not drunk rum in ages but as I have a great interest in WWI, I feel it is my duty to reacquaint myself and shall buy a bottle of Pussers and a mug immediately. Historical and medicinal purposes.

Here's another (irrelevant) point to ponder: Is there a rum equivalent of the finest malt whiskey?

Steve

Is there a rum equivalent of the finest malt whiskey?

Deguires or Demera Distillers make 15 year old rums but they tend to be quite heavy to my taste. You will have to travel far to beat Woods 100 or 120 which are single source rums ie Guyana. Lemon Heart is also very good but lighter.

Roop

I think that the relatives of the Lascelles (sp?) still live at Harewood House in Yorkshire. Made lots of money from slavery and dodgy dealings with Government (tax aviodance/evasion, paying off MPs etc) according to a recent BBC docu-drama.

Roxy

Roxy

I saw that docu-drama, which is what makes me 'suspect' that family, and others.

Does anyone have any evidence that the forces had a rum issue because people 'making the rules', decided to make money on government contracts?

According to the prog. cited above these people were not above trading with the enemy, the French, in order to make a profit.

Steve,

good to see that you are taking the research so seriously and in detail.

There is indeed a rum equivalent to malt whisky and in my humble opinion to a very good cognac (can't stand whisky myself - long story why not; it makes me ill to think about it, let alone sniff it).

Mount Gay ten year old rum, distilled on Barbados is the finest rum I have come across. I have never seen it in Britain but it is common in the West Indies. i always buy a bottle or two when there (weel, OK, the twice I have been there).

I always drink it from a large brandy balloon. It deserves it. may have one tonight, now.

Steve,

good to see that you are taking the research so seriously and in detail.

Absolutely. I think that you need to sample as many WWI related experiences as possible to get close to experiencing the true trench atmosphere. Last night, I again tried to experience what it would have been like to drink like an officer by consuming whiskey. It is taking some time to replicate the experience and I think I am getting an idea, though I will probably need to drink some more tonight to be sure.

Steve

That'll keep the servant busy then - make sure he cleans and polishes your kit and lays it out for tomorrow before you get started though.

I trust that you will be keeping research notes throughout the exercise.

Here's another (irrelevant) point to ponder: Is there a rum equivalent of the finest malt whiskey?

I would suggest Martinique rum, but you do not see it on sale in Britain.

Try the Cuban rum they sell in Sainsbury's. Pretty good - or at least the most expensive of the three qualities they sell is.

As for dark demerera rum, as drunk by the squaddies, nah! The main advantage for the serices here is it was cheap in bulk.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...topic=10864&hl=

Read this for an eye opener .. as I said, found in the deep and distant past after some speculative searching. The word 'bacteria' finally did the trick.

By the way, the word 'beer' crops up in thousands of posts. What does that say to you??! :lol:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...topic=10864&hl=

Read this for an eye opener .. as I said, found in the deep and distant past after some speculative searching. The word 'bacteria' finally did the trick.

By the way, the word 'beer' crops up in thousands of posts. What does that say to you??! :lol:

Reassuringly inexpensive

Try the Cuban rum they sell in Sainsbury's.

I'd similarly recommend Cuban brands (Havana Club, Bacardí, Revolución). 12-year-old añejos are pretty smooth in taste. I'm sentimental towards Spanish Brands, but then we have pretty good quality: Ron Negrita, Ron Mascaró.

Absolutely. I think that you need to sample as many WWI related experiences as possible to get close to experiencing the true trench atmosphere. Last night, I again tried to experience what it would have been like to drink like an officer by consuming whiskey. It is taking some time to replicate the experience and I think I am getting an idea, though I will probably need to drink some more tonight to be sure.

Steve

Your dedication is a shining example to us all. I look forward to your report on how it feels to undergo an artillery bombardment. :D

Healdav You can get Mount Gay here- I used to sell it when I was 'in the wine trade'- 'working in an offie'. Lemonheart is my favourtie and it genuinley works wonders for colds!

greg

I'm usually not too bothered about spelling (as my earlier posts will evidence). However I think this one is worth pointing out as the spelling pretty much determines the meaning.

Whisky - Scottish whisky, Japanese whisky & (I think) one American whisky.

Whiskey - Irish whiskey, some American whiskeys.

You shouldn't write whiskey if you are thinking about scotch. I'm fairly certain, as has been pointed out earlier, that most of the whisky drunk by the British Army would be scotch.

Chums,

Dont confuse the modern dark blended or "navy" rums with what the BEF were drinking. They would have red rum which is still available in the WI and is produced much quicker than the darker ones with which you will be more familiar.

Try a Five Star for this particular style.

Roop

I'm usually not too bothered about spelling (as my earlier posts will evidence). However I think this one is worth pointing out as the spelling pretty much determines the meaning.

Whisky - Scottish whisky, Japanese whisky & (I think) one American whisky.

Whiskey - Irish whiskey, some American whiskeys.

You shouldn't write whiskey if you are thinking about scotch. I'm fairly certain, as has been pointed out earlier, that most of the whisky drunk by the British Army would be scotch.

I would like to think that the officers in the Irish regiments would have been drinking their own supplies of whiskey and supporting the drink of their particular island.

My experiment continues. A spooky thing happened last night, in line with another thread on the paranormal in this category. I was having a drink of the old whiskey and I must have fallen asleep. When I awoke, sometime later, the cork was out of the bottle and its content had all but evaporated. Worse still, I felt a strange nausea and was overcome by an even worse headache. My mother had always warned me about the evils of spirits and now I see what she means. The ******* had stolen my whiskey. I wonder if anybody else on the forum has experienced anything similar.

Next week, I will be mostly experimenting on myself with a trench club.

Steve

It is still possible to obtain Pusser's Rum.Before 1980 when production was resumed by Charles Tobias in the West Indies,the rights to production and blending were owned by the Admiralty who had sat on the secret for 10 years from when the daily issue was curtailed on 31 July 1970.(said to be "Black Tot Day") It is a blending of dark rums from Guyana,Trindad and the British Virgin Islands.

According to Pussers (the name is derived from Purser,the officer who had the responsibility for Pusser Rum daily allocation),the allocation per head was a pint per day, in half pint allocations, at a strength of 95.5 proof ie 54.5% alcohol by volume, undiluted.

From 1740 when it became apparent that the daily issue was having an adverse effect on crew discipline and performance, the issue of rum was reduced to half a pint and diluted with a quart of water with added sugar and lime juice.Grog had finally arrived,named after the nickname of Admiral Vernon (Old Grog) who had introduced the new measures.

I have had a few bottles of Pussers pass through my mess.One and bit bottles to go.It is still a favourite of the ex sea going types.

Think when you drink a Pussers Tot, a royalty is paid by the present owners of Pussers Rum to the Royal Navy Sailors' Fund.

Anyone drinking half a pint of 54.5% ABV spirits a day, diluted or not, is going to do serious long term damage to themselves and probably die quite young of liver disease.

All the dilution will do is produce a strength which is easier for the body to absorb.

Anyone drinking half a pint of 54.5% ABV spirits a day, diluted or not, is going to do serious long term damage to themselves and probably die quite young of liver disease.

All the dilution will do is produce a strength which is easier for the body to absorb.

Absolutely correct but, in these days, it would have been a race between umpteen other causes of death and the rum, as to which was going to get you. If you lived long enough for the cirrhosis to kill you , you would have been ' that old guy that drinks the rum'.

Having bought in Gib a stone flagon of the immortal 'Nelsons Blood' in 1976, (sorry, it is all gone). This was the rum that was left in store after the abolition (sniff), the closest commercial rum to it would be Pussers rum.

Anyone searching for rare WI brands in the UK could do no better than visit an off licence in the Handsworth area of Brum. Mount Gay is readily available as well as some white rums that would make the Bacardi bat hang its head in shame (and so it should).

During the 1977 Silver Jubilee review of the fleet - when we had one - our skipper paid for the 'Splice the Mainbrace' tot out of his own pocket and yes it was the rum from Gib.

Nurse, help.

:D

Davie.