Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Norwich VAD Royal Red Cross

gnr.ktrha

:) Hello All,

I thought that you may find this photo of some interest. It is taken from a larger photo i bought in Lowerstoft about 5 years ago. It's interesting because of the uniform detail and medals/badges. They seem to be wearing the badge of the Immobile VAD [on the arm band]. You will see that a few of the nurses have the WW1 Red Cross Service Medal, also, the Lady in the center appears to be a holder of either the RRC or ARRC. The photo is un-named, but has a Norwich Photographers name on it.

Regards,

Stewart

post-3488-1138701167.jpg

Here is another one presently for sale on ebay. Perhaps these were the runners up in the football competition. I have to say I wouldn't want to meet any one of these ladies on a dark night. The vendor states that he thinks that they relate to Grantham. post-364-1138904259.jpg

Stewart

Thanks for posting the item from Norwich. Are there any buildings in the background from which us locals might be able to properly identify the location? (It would have been Lowestoft (no 'r') where you were following up some of your ancestor Scottish fisher girls, no doubt!)

Regards

Chris

:) Hello,

Glad you have found the photo of some interest. I don't have a clue what the cups were for, or the date of the photo. The only mark on the photo is the photographers embossed stamp, which looks like a large 'C' with 'O E' inside it and the word 'Norwich' below.

One of the nurses in the photo is holding a stuffed cat ! So maybe the cups are for needle work!!! :P

I will try and re-scan the photo so you can see the building in the background. It's a brick building with a horizontal band of a different coloured brick every 3 feet or so, up the building.

I wonder who the Lady with the RRC is ? There is some nice uniform detail.

My wife is from Gorleston-on-Sea. We go down there about once a year to visit her sister and family. But you are right about the fishing fleet. By Great-grandfather was from Buckie and used to travel down the East Coast with the fishing fleet.

Regards,

Stewart

:) Hello,

Glad you have found the photo of some interest. I don't have a clue what the cups were for, or the date of the photo. The only mark on the photo is the photographers embossed stamp, which looks like a large 'C' with 'O E' inside it and the word 'Norwich' below.

One of the nurses in the photo is holding a stuffed cat ! So maybe the cups are for needle work!!! :P

I will try and re-scan the photo so you can see the building in the background. It's a brick building with a horizontal band of a different coloured brick every 3 feet or so, up the building.

I wonder who the Lady with the RRC is ? There is some nice uniform detail.

My wife is from Gorleston-on-Sea. We go down there about once a year to visit her sister and family. But you are right about the fishing fleet. By Great-grandfather was from Buckie and used to travel down the East Coast with the fishing fleet.

Regards,

Stewart