Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain H A Hewitt MC - Sherwood Foresters?

christopher

I am currently trying to find information on Captain Harry Aspdin Hewitt MC of the Sherwood Foresters. I am afraid I dont have his battalion number.

From a member of his family I have learned that he received a military cross and lost a leg during the war but that is all I know. Does anyone have a copy of war diaries for the Forresters and if so could they see if any mention is made to him, especially his gaining the military cross?

Thanks as always for any help

christopher

2nd Lieutenant Temporary Captain: 2/8th Battalion:

''For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in Dublin on 26th April 1916, when atacking Clanwilliam House. Realising that they were running short of bombs recrossed the Grand Canal Street Bridge, and succeeded in obtaining a bucketful. On his return with the bombs the lower rooms and staircase which was barricaded was bombed, and ascended with some difficulty, the remaining rebels were shot''

Taken from British Gallantry Awards, the Sherwood Foresters.

A very rare MC!!

John, Christopher,

see the other One!!

His commission:

London Gazette 2-10-1914

The undermentioned to be Second Lieutenants. Dated 3rd October, 1914: —

Harry Aspdin Hewitt (late Cadet Corporal, Repton School Contingent, Junior Division, Officers Training Corps)

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

LG 18-6-1917

2nd Lt. (temp. Capt.) H. A. Hewitt, M.C., to be Lt. (temp. Capt.), with precedence as from 1st June 1916. 19th June 1917.

LG 16-7-1918

The undermentioned temp, appointments are made: —

Special Appointments.—

(Graded for purposes of pay as Staff Lts., 2nd Cl., whilst empld.

in a Record Office.)—Lt. H. A. Hewitt, M.C., Notts. & Derby. R., T.F., and to be secd. 5th June 1918

LG 19-11-1918

Notts. & Derby. B.—Lt. H. A. Hewitt, M.C., relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health caused by wounds, and is granted the hon. rank of Capt. 20th Nov. 1918.

Anthony has already got the MC sorted, I see.

Steve.

Well done Anthony....yep a rare MC....am I right in thinking that this award carries no citation in the London gazette and was awarded in the 1917 new years honours list.

John

John, Steve, Anthony and Wig - Wow what an amazing response. I had no idea that he had received his military cross for action in the easter rising. I dont think his family know this information either so I shall let them know and send them this link.

I am having trouble making the picture i have of Captain Hewitt small enough to post on the forum - as soon as i work out how i will post back.

Thankyou again this has helped me a lot.

Christopher

A picture of Capt. Hewitt. that would be a real treasure. Ask the family if they have anything else, medals, letters etc. This is a much underresearched area of the Easte Rising and this being the 90th anniversary there is a lot of interest this side of the water.

wig

A picture of Capt. Hewitt. that would be a real treasure. Ask the family if they have anything else, medals, letters etc. This is a much underresearched area of the Easte Rising and this being the 90th anniversary there is a lot of interest this side of the water.

wig

Cant get the pictures small enough i'm afraid. But if anyone wants to contact me i will send them an email with picture of Captain Hewitt

chris

I am currently trying to find information on Captain Harry Aspdin Hewitt MC of the Sherwood Foresters. I am afraid I dont have his battalion number.

From a member of his family I have learned that he received a military cross and lost a leg during the war but that is all I know. Does anyone have a copy of war diaries for the Forresters and if so could they see if any mention is made to him, especially his gaining the military cross?

christopher

christopher

Captian Hewitt was my grandfather. I belive he lost his leg during the Battle of the Somme and became stranded in no mans land. He was rescued by his batman, I may be able to find out more information from my Mother.

Welcome on board. Your grandfather was a very brave man. Many of the men he fought with in Dublin are buried here in largly unremembered and unvisited graves. Should you or any member of your family ever wish to visit the battleground over which Capt Hewitt fought, and see the graves of the men he fought with then please be assured you will be made most welcome and I and others will facilitate your visit in every possible way, including providing you with accomadation. It is good to remember your granddad.

Captian Hewitt was my grandfather. I belive he lost his leg during the Battle of the Somme and became stranded in no mans land. He was rescued by his batman, I may be able to find out more information from my Mother.

Captian Hewitt was my grandfather. I believe he lost his leg during the Battle of the Somme and became stranded in no mans land. He was rescued by his batman, I may be able to find out more information from my Mother.

When / if you discover anything more please let us know.

Now for the really bad news on this one.

In 1987 after the death of Harry Hewitt's sister, a Canadian brother in law took interest in a leather spined copy book or ledger that contained manuscript accounts of fighting in Ireland.

At the time I had very little interest in such matters, my interest is only recent, and to some extent started after realising that a PC of an "unidentified SF officer" I sold on Ebay (as an experiment and not the photo I posted last night) in 2003 was in fact HAH.

I alerted the buyer Christoper who stared this post, and have been in touch with Robert HAH's grandson, who has now joined in. This book clearly has to be recovered, I just pray that he has still got it, the problem is I have a different wife now, so he is not my brother-in law now! If he still has it I feel confident he will let me have it back, so watch this space, but it may be many weeks off.

I seemed to have goofed on this matter twice, but then if I had not, you who share in our little story would have been none the wiser.

I am not experienced in forums, I assume the chain can be re-started after it goes dormant, but how do I alert past posters? Wig, perhaps you can advise.

Nigel

I am not experienced in forums, I assume the chain can be re-started after it goes dormant, but how do I alert past posters? Wig, perhaps you can advise.

You must be kicking yourself over that book! And if we could see you we might kick you as well!!

Seriously though, I hope you do manage to get it back.

If the post goes 'dead' for a while dont worry. Just do a forum search for, say, 'Hewitt' and you can add another post. Then click on the name of the person you want to wake up and send them a PM or e-mail.

Here is a message I sent to Robert and Christoper this evening. If anyone else would like a copy please send me a message with an email address and I will send you a copy also. There are 8 .jpg files totalling about 450k so well compressed.

You can contact me at [my surname@my surname.com] , if you see what I mean!

Dear Robert

Dear Chris

Guess what! I had a war diary of the 2/8th Battalion on the shelf without

knowing it:

"The Sherwood Foresters in the Great War 1914-18, The 2/8 Battalion by Lt.

Col. W.C.Oates D.S.O. JH Bell Ltd, Nottingham 1920."

Here are pages 35 to 49 dealing with Dublin, where it seems his action

earned him the MC.

Later I will send you the chapter on Le Verguier where he lost his leg.

Regards

Nigel

• 2 years later...
Guest superswifty

Another MC from the Easter Uprising: Lt. Charles Weir, 18th RIR. I have "The 2nd Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War" by James Taylor, which mentions the MC but not the action for which it was awarded. Can anyone help me with more information? I haven't been able to obtain a copy of the Sinn Fein Rebellion Handbook. Many thanks...

Hi, a little more information.

2/8th History states, These Officers had been accompanied by Lieut Hewitt and his scouts who were now reduced to two......Lieut Hewitt taking cover at the South West corner of the bridge, endeavoured with the aid of his scouts to discount by rapid fire on the windows of Clanwilliam House. Shouting to Lieut Hewitt who was crouching behind the bridge on the other side of the road, Captain Quibell gallantly led the charge across the bridge, closely followed by Lieut Hewitt. The Sgt Major Dixie was killed here with Captain Cursham and Lieut Foster wounded but the charge swept on to Clanwilliam House. Lieut Hewitt realising the necessity for bombs very pluckily recrossed the bridge and succeeded in obtaining a bucketful.

Later, A signalling had been reported in Mount Street, Lieut Hewitt with a small party was ordered to occupy an advanced post some 250 yards down Mount Street, whilst acting under orders from the Irish Command they secured the position for the night.

Bronno (Sherwood Foresters Museum).

There is a fairly new book on the battle of Mount Street Bridge and the Sherwood Foresters

Its called Blood on the Streets and is by Paul O'Brien (a member of the forum). It is reviewed on Amazon and availible from them.

wig

• 11 years later...

Guest superswifty - 2nd Lt Charles Weir was my great uncle. I was aware that he had received a Military Cross for actions during the Easter Rising but I have been unable to get definitive detail on the actions that deserved such an honour. I have spoken with his daughters and while they had the MC medal In their possession they say that their father never told them what he did in Dublin during the Rising. I have been to the National Archives to look at his military records - but again no details provided there either. As Charles came from Co Donegal he and his family would not have talked much about Charles’s actions as post-independence that could have led to retaliations etc. A cousin of my mother’s who passed away in 2010 told some of my family that Charles was awarded the MC for his actions in taking down the tricolour from the Four Courts in Dublin (which had been occupied by the rebels for some days) but I have no way of verifying that. Charles went on to fight in the Battle if the Somme - was injured - and after recuperation was back at the front - this time with the 5th Lancers. My uncle told me before he died that Charles was involved in action with the Auxiliaries after the war in Co Donegal during the War of Independence. He said that Charles had been involved in a gunbattle when he was guarding rebel prisoners on a train. Charles was known as Captain Charles Weir at home (and he is given that rank of a remembrance plaque in Ballindrait Presbyterian church. I do not believe he gained this rank during WW1 so I think he may have been given this rank when he was working for the Auxiliaries after the war. 
If anyone can cast any light on this subject I would be very interested it.