Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Air to Ground Attacks

Guest Standtoo

Hi fellas

I understand that the breakthrough in many areas of the British linesin 1918 was the co-ordernation of attacks by German air to ground attacks (Schlactstaffeln) and the stormtoops(Sturmtruppen). Can anybody give me indications of the number of German aircraft that were used in this Blitzkrieg on the British lines around St Elio and Mt Kemmel Belgium Aprill 1918 are we to say 0-1/ 1-10/10-50/ 50-100/100-500 etc

many thanks in advance Bob

Bob

I don' t think your question is easy to answer in pure numbers for a specific location. However, on 21 March 1918, 27 Schlachtstaffeln were allocated to the attacking German Armies (the Second, Seventeenth and Eighteenth). I'm not sure about the establishment number of aeroplanes allocated to a Schlasta in March, but by August 1918 a Schlasta was supposed to have 6 CL-type machines.

I hope this helps a little.

Gareth

Bob,

On 25/4/1918 a formation of 16 Schlachtstaffeln attacked the British an French positions near Kemmel.

They dropped 700 bombs and fired 60.000 rounds of machinegun ammo.

Additional fire support to the attacking German infantry was given by 3 Jastas.

Regards,

Cnock

Thanks Gareth and Cnock

Brilliant stuff I am now getting a picture of what it must have been like up and around the St Elio-Mt Kemmil area on the 25 April 1918

Cheers Bob

In April 1918 the following Schlasta's arrived in 4th Army to participate in the battle : 1, 10, 14, 23, 26, 28 and 30. The last one was a bavarian unit. For the battle there was the creation of 4 Schlachtgeschwader, A with 1, 14 , 21 and 28 - B with 10, 23, 26 and 30 - C with 3, 13, 19 and 29 - D with 9, 12, 16 and 24.

Best from Johan