Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What's in a name ?

zijde26

In order to avoid that the opposite party was monitoring the wireless messages, the german army

in ww1 translated numerous Flemish names (e.g. streetnames, farm names, …) into ‘ german ‘ names

with a very differing meaning.

Does anyone know more about this ?

Gilbert Deraedt :(

In order to avoid that the opposite party was monitoring the wireless messages, the german army

in ww1 translated numerous Flemish names (e.g. streetnames, farm names, …) into ‘ german ‘ names

So did the British.

Talana Farm, Colenso farm, Rat Farm, Irish House, Tyne Cott, Cambridge Road, Buffs Road, Preston House, Cheddar Villa, Grange Street, Admirals Road, etc., etc., etc. are hardly Flemish names either!!!

Dave. (The French also did it in their area of occupation too)

I have a map they produced of the Chateau Thierry area marked with 'German' names.

It's pretty pathetic really. Chateau Thieryy becomes Schloss Thierry, for example.

As Healdav says, it was standard practise on all sides. I am wondering how official was the renaming procedure for the British Army? We all know that there were nicknames like Dud Corner which became the official name but I have seen trench maps where there was some sort of alphabetical sorting going on. All start with 'F' then 'G' and so on. Map squares I guess but who decided 'F' rather than 'B'?

I have seen trench maps where there was some sort of alphabetical sorting going on. All start with 'F' then 'G' and so on. Map squares I guess but who decided 'F' rather than 'B'?

These alphabetical names were just trench names. This is a whole different ball game to the naming of features/places.

Dave.

These alphabetical names were just trench names. This is a whole different ball game to the naming of features/places.

Dave.

Thanks Dave. I smell a large number of books in a new area of potential interest. Backs away hurriedly. :blink: