Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

THE BRITISH PRISONER OF WAR - 1918

David_Blanchard

Hello,

I have just been out bid on ebay on the item below:

THE BRITISH PRISONER OF WAR – 1918

THIS 152 PAGE BOOK CONTAINS 12 BOUND COPIES (JANUARY TO DECEMBER 1918) OF "THE BRITISH PRISONER OF WAR" WHICH WAS THE MONTHLY JOURNAL OF THE CENTRAL PRISONERS OF WAR COMMITTEE OF THE RED CROSS AND ORDER OF ST JOHN.

THERE ARE ARTICLES ON THE VARIOUS PRISON CAMPS, WITH PHOTOGRAPHS, FOOD PARCELS, PRISONERS’ LETTERS, ADMINISTRATION AND COUNTLESS SHORT ITEMS OF MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION.

THERE ARE ALSO ADVERTISEMENTS AT THE BEGINNING AND END OF EACH MONTH’S EDITION – MAINLY REGARDING FOOD ITEMS WHICH COULD PRESUMABLY BE SENT TO ONE’S LOVED ONES (Marmite, Vi-Cocoa, Egg substitute, Oxo, etc.).

THIS IS A MOST INTERESTING AND INFORMATIVE BOOK, IN VERY GOOD CONDITION. 12¨ × 8½¨

I wonder if anyone has come across this publication and where I might be able to view any copies? National Archives? IWM?

I must admit I was unaware that such a publication existed unit it came up for auction.

(If by any chance the person who won the item is a member of the forum I am willing to pay for a run of photocopies for all issues from May to December 1918 plus a contribution to the upkeep of the forum)

David

I have just been out bid on ebay on the item below:

THE BRITISH PRISONER OF WAR – 1918

I wonder if anyone has come across this publication and where I might be able to view any copies? National Archives? IWM?

Hi David,

I noticed that this was listed on eBay, but it was already outwith my current level of pocket money!

I hadn't heard of it before either, but I checked the British Library catalogue and they do have a copy:

System number: 001129909

Author: corporate British Red Cross Society (ENGLAND). Central Prisoners of War Committee of the British Red Cross and the Order of St. John.

Title: The British Prisoner of War. vol. 1. 1-12. Jan-Dec. 1918.

Publisher/year: London, 1918.

Holdings note: Humanities P.P.4050.ce. [Another copy of vol. 1. no. 10.]

Shelfmark: P.P.4050.cec. Request

Not sure on the British Library's copying policy for this type of publication - the BL is very strict with what can and what cannot be copied. It can get a bit complicated, e.g., "Yes sir, you may photocopy that photograph, but you are not allowed to take it to our copying dept. to have it scanned". A bit of a nuisance when a scan would obviously result in a much better copy.

Hope you find what your after (I was interested because my great-uncle was a POW from 11th Apr 1918).

Stuart

I was outbid as well, got to £100 and felt that was enough. Anyway I checked out where I could see a copy and they are as already said in the National library in London and also at the Imperial war museum. I spoke to both and they said that they are available to look at. As for getting a copy of it from the library the guy said it would cost about £84 after getting permission from the Red Cross. While googling it I came accross a referance to another magazine called 'British interned Magazine'. Anyone know anything about this.

I got this infomation via google:

The British Prisoner of War (WRA 458, Reel 1)

This was the Monthly Journal of the Central Prisoners of War Committee of the Red Cross and Order of St John. It is a journal about conditions in prison camps in general and provides much valuable data concerning the numbers of prisoners held, their health and welfare, the use of prisoners in local construction (Vol 1, No 1 describes "Working Camps in Turkey" and notes that "The majority of able-bodied British and Indian prisoners have been and are engaged in railway construction."), the construction of camps (Vol 1, No 2 includes a detailed drawing and description of Ruhleben Camp, Vol 1, No 7 details Karlsruche), notes of escapes, aid efforts, the packing of parcels, and many other issues. It is interesting to compare these details with those provided by Deutsche Internierten-Zeitung (WRB 469, Reel 6), Journal des Internès Français (WRB 470, Reel 6), Lager-Echo (WRB 490, Reel 7), Camp Echo. Halmonatsschrift fur das Douglas Prisoner of War Camp (WRB 449 Reel 15), BIM (British Interned Magazine) (WRC 538, Reel 16) and Ma captivité en Allemagne (WRD 17.104, Reel 18).

This information comes from this website: Click Here

But I couldn't work out the costs.

Regards

David

Guest Farnboro Flyer

Can anyone say how I can trace my Dad's brother .........he was captured in the big Spring Offensive of 1918.

He served as a POW , but I have no dates, Regiment(could have been Herts and Bucks, or is it Bucks and Hearts?)or repatriation date.

Thanks

Ian

Guest Farnboro Flyer

David, Thanks for taking the time..........

My uncle's name was Ina Savage........cannot say when enlisted, but it is nice to put a face to the name....

My Dad joined the RNAS.........and I'm guessing this photo taken circa mid 1917.

RFC + RNAS, became RAF 1st April 1918.

Ianpost-10584-1138746836.jpg

Hello,

There is a medal index card at the National Archives:

Medal card of Savage, I W

Corps: East Kent Regiment

Regiment No: G-22418

1914-1920 WO 372/17

See details

This is the only one to a I Savage, although there are two others for Savages with I as a middle initial.

Click Here

Regards

David

I got this infomation via google:

The British Prisoner of War (WRA 458, Reel 1)

But I couldn't work out the costs.

Regards

David

It is £680 for all the reels.

Jamie

Guest Farnboro Flyer
Hello,

There is a medal index card at the National Archives:

Medal card of Savage, I W

Corps: East Kent Regiment

Regiment No: G-22418

1914-1920 WO 372/17

See details

This is the only one to a I Savage, although there are two others for Savages with I as a middle initial.

Click Here

Regards

David

David, Thank you for that, but something here is missing!........

In the photo, it would seem that my uncle has Corporal Stripes, so none of the three you have mentioned fit that rank.

Can you say what Regiment he was in from the cap badge?Could be OXS and BUCKS.........his home at the time was in Stanmore/Harrow.

His name was Ina, or should I say that phonetically it was pronouced INA, could the spelling be Eina? or something like that ?a name that we don't see or hear of these days.

Ian

Hello Ian,

I am not an expert on cap badges. The best thing to do is to broaden your appeal by posting a new Topic message, saying can you identify this man's Regiment? Then posting the photograph.

I hope this helps

Regards

David

Ian,

I nearly missed this as it is buried amongst another topic but the stripes are not corporal stripes. If you post another topic there are many who can tell you exactly what regiment and what the stripes mean. I could probably identify the badge but I do not have my books to hand.

Doug

Guest Farnboro Flyer

Thanks David, and Thanks to Doug,

When I look again at the photo, of course its not Corporal stripes!.........top of left arm! silly boy Pike!

Ok , I will post as a new topic.

Ian

Ian,

I am not an expert but I wouldn't be surprised if the cap badge was East Kents.

Regards

David

Ian,

Badge looks very much like the Buffs though indistict on the photograph it is the right shape. Service stripes were blue for overseas and red for overseas in 1914. Since these stripes are not these colours they may represent service at home though I am not an expert on them.

Others will probably be able to identify when he joined up by his service number and purchasing his medal card on line for £3.50 may give you more detail.

Doug

Guest Farnboro Flyer

Doug, Thank you for that info..........I recall seeing a photo with the word 'Buffs' on the reverse......

The initials make a little sense, as his Father was William.

What do you get on the medal card? and how much will it tell me about him?

Ian