Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Rats' Alley": British Trench Names of the WF by Peter C

Jonathan Saunders

I have had this book on order from Amazon for months and have just had my ordered cancelled by them as they cannot source it. I assume this is becuase of a delay in publishing - not the first time this has happened with Peter Chasseaud books although they are generally worth waiting for.

Can anyone confirm whether this project has been abandoned altogether or if there is a new pyblication date on the horizon?

Many thanks.

Jonathan - the latest information I was given when I spoke to the publisher just after Christmas is that the book is now expected to be available at the end of February.

Tom

Many thanks Tom - although that makes it strange that they should cancel my order now!

Yes, it does seem odd when the book's release is (and I use the word cautiously) imminent.

Maybe they have an automated system which cancels outstanding orders after a certain number of weeks, or something?

Tom

...though I wouldn't hold my breath!!! <_<

Dave.

A wise strategy, Dave, given the book's past record. I'm now getting phone calls almost every day from customers who are on my waiting list for the book, and think that after so long, I must have forgotten them.

However, from what I've heard it'll be worth the wait.

Tom

I have not heard about this new book by Peter Chasseaud and it sounds very useful.

Is it a listing with positions, just a listing or maps as reference?

Kate

Thanks for posting this, Jonathan. I've had this book on my Amazon wishlist for some time, but hadn't got around to ordering it yet. Looks like I'll have to hang fire a bit longer.

Cas

Thanks for posting this, Jonathan. I've had this book on my Amazon wishlist for some time, but hadn't got around to ordering it yet. Looks like I'll have to hang fire a bit longer.

Cas

I think the delay is a bit of a blow for many of us - I think I first heard about it and had it on order from end of summer. Still I am sure it will be worth the wait ... eventually.

I have not heard about this new book by Peter Chasseaud and it sounds very useful.

Is it a listing with positions, just a listing or maps as reference?

Kate

Kate - according to the publisher's description:

This fascinating book lists each trench name (and the name of any places, camps, localities and installations associated with them), their significance and how to find them with the relevant Map References.

The book's sub-title is "Trench Names of the Western Front 1914-1918". Some people have expressed doubts as to whether the books is actually going to mention every trench name plus places of interest for the whole Western Front, though. Maybe the phrase "The Western Front" means, "The British part of the Western Front". We shall have to wait and see.

Tom

PS - I've just noticed that the publishers are referring to the books as "Rats' Alley - British Trench Names of the Western Front 1914-1918." I see also that Jonathan, in his original post in this thread also includes the word "British" in the title. I hadn't noticed this. I was taking my title from the illustration of the book-cover on the publisher's website, which doesn't have the word "British" in the title. So this answers the query I referred to above.

Edited by Tom Morgan

Thanks Tom.

I see what you mean about the ambiguity and the 'Now you see it now you don't' - British.

Also - it looks as though a really good set of trench maps will be needed.

However, I think that the book will be excellent.

It's a massive undertaking and if anyone knows their trench names, Peter Chasseaud does.

If he doesn't get sick of it, there may be sequels. :)

Kate

Yes, it does seem odd when the book's release is (and I use the word cautiously) imminent.

Maybe they have an automated system which cancels outstanding orders after a certain number of weeks, or something?

Tom

I believe you to be correct Tom. Given the publication date was originally October, if I recall the systems in place put items on backorder for 90 days then they are auto cancelled by the supplier. One can always reorder the title to recreate the backorder. Publication has "slipped" to mid Feb...

Cheers

Ryan