Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of wounded

andypugh

Hi everybody

Can anyone tell me who would have the lists or records listing the men that were wounded in action in the Royal Fusiliers(City of London) Regiment.And would all wounds have been recorded no matter how slight?

I am trying to find out when my Gt Gt Uncle was wounded. In a picture I have of him he has two wound stripes(Bullets)on his sleeve.If anybody could point me in the right direction I would be greatful

Regards

Andy.

Andrew,

Apart from whatever lists/sources other members could suggest, an interesting source would be the "Weekly Casualty List" (copies of it are extant in the British Library-Newspapers, that I know). Casualties are listed by Regiments/units, although no battalions are specified. The casualties are sorted out depending whether they were dead, wounded, missing or known to be prisoners. No great detail is given apart from that (sometimes the place of enlistment, etc) but it is a very interesting source (So i wonder why no-one has considered yet a reprint or turning it into a searchable database)

However, it is an awfully extensive list with a lot of pages in very small lettertype, so the more details you have about dates (i.e.: approximate period when your Gt Grandfather was wounded, his regimental number) to narrow down your search, the better.

Gloria

Thanks Gloria.

I have all the information on my Gt Gt uncle, service number, Battalion ect.I also know that he served in the 1st BN, 4th Bn and the 24th Bn of the Royal Fusiliers(City of London) Regt I would love to know which of the Bns he served with first,either the 1st or the 4th,what I do know is he was killed in 1918 March 24th while serving in the 24th R/F. But then thats my quest,If I could find out the dates of his wounds,that might help.

Once again Thank You.

Andy.

P.S. I will get there in the end.

Much being a newbie here, I can only give very broad suggestions. Hopefully, an expert in regimental numbers (or/and an expert in the Royal Fusiliers) will be able to give you further indications.

Otherwise, if you know the date in which he went overseas, it could "only" be a matter of checking casualty lists (an usual suggestion is to check local newspapers as well) from then onwards (a lot of work, I'm afraid). Also Browse the National Archives online catalogue for extant diaries of these units. If I have checked it correctly WO 95/1613 and WO 95/2207 contain 1st Bn. diaries, WO 95/1431 those of the 4th Bn. and WO 95/1349 the 24th Bn.

P.S. I will get there in the end.

You will

Gloria

Have you checked the Medal Rolls for him. I believe that the Royal Fusiliers rolls give dates of service with the various battalions.

An example of what I mean is here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...topic=46040&hl=

If you have a Library card try your local library website (and check the County one too) for access to the Times online that published lists of wounded up to March 1917. The search engine is a bit difficult but the info is there.

Battalions are listed until March 1916. (The date of wounding was generally about a month before the date of the Times issue, though exceptions to this were not that uncommon)

Steve.

Hello everybody.

I want to thank you all for your help and advice on this subject.If I need to ask for any info at a later date, I hope you dont mind if I pull on you pals again.Once again Thank You.

Regards,Andy.