Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester Regiment DCM & MM Winner

Rodge Dowson

Hi, I have searched the Manchester Evening News to find a photo of Pte 301 John Ward of the 2nd & 17th Manchesters, but no luck. I wondered if anyone had a Regimental Gazette that might show a photo of him. His family do not have any pictures of him at all. He won the DCM in 1916 and MM in 1917.

Thanks Rodge

Rodge

He wasnt a stretcher bearer by any chance was he?

It's only that Paul Reed has a photo, but no name, of a Manc. DCM & MM winner.

John

rodge,hes not in the MEN up and including oct 1916,dont forget,it would take at least a couple of months for the soldier to be mentioned in the LG, then by the time it had gone through the official and family channels,you are talking about appearing in the MEN about 1917,bernard

Thanks a lot for looking, I have been through the entire M.E.N. from 1914 to 1919

He was a pre war regular but forfeited his awards after court martial in 1919 for 2 counts of absence and 1 count disobedience. I hope that for his family something turns up in the way of a photo. He may have been a S/B not sure he was from Ireland but lived Manchester enlisted Ireland as a boy soldier 1909.

The family have DCM citation and court martial offences sheet, also L/G dates for DCM & MM.

I intend to try and find more out about this soldier if I can........

Thanks again for your replies

Rodge

this is Paul's photo, but we've not been able to positively identify him

i'll keep my eye open for a reference to your man

29043434-M.jpg

rodge,me,harribobs,monsstar and kingo are scouring the MEN if anything turns up we will post it,theres a lot of stuff in the manchester evening chronicle,what area of manchester did he live in,bernard

Many thanks for sending the photo through, I will show Pte Ward's daughter - you never know your luck...

Rodge

There are Chorlton and Clayton links, also other side of the family were from Wigan.

Thanks a lot for your help, this is a most interesting case I feel and will be doing all I can to get to the bottom of things. Also he served in Iraq later with 2nd Mcr's. but the GSM was also held back despite serving time in the glass house prior to going overseas again.

how many manchesters were awarded the dcm+mm,if ime gonna trawl through all the pages of the MEN,i might as well make myself useful and see if this mans picture turns up,it would be great to ID him,bernard

I have viewed all the photos in the M.E.N myself and not found him..........

Not sure how many combos of DCM and MM but quite anu,ber to such a large Rgt. I would think.

Thanks Rodge

I was sure I'd posted this information earlier in the afternoon but it's gone.....

However, when Chris & I were trying to ID the photo, info from the regimental museum confirmed there were only 31 of the 350 DCM winners who also had an MM. So, the odds shorten.

John

I was sure I'd posted this information earlier in the afternoon but it's gone.....

However, when Chris & I were trying to ID the photo, info from the regimental museum confirmed there were only 31 of the 350 DCM winners who also had an MM. So, the odds shorten.

John

Thanks John, hope the odds are with us, regards

Rodge