Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bradford Pals

Bantamenace

Hi all

I am researching my greatgrandfather and i believe he served with the 16th West Yorkshire Regiment (1st Bradford Pals), but in order to confirm this, i need to know which battles in France they took part in. Any ideas anyone??

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

There's a book cleverly called "The Bradford Pals" by Ralph Hudson ISBN 907734 56 1 published by Bradford Libraries at £9.50 (at least when I bought it a couple of years ago).

Bradford Library

Princes Way

Bradford

BD1 1NN

I don't have the phone no. to hand.

From Pens & Sword www.pen-and-sword.co.uk there's a larger format "The Bradford Pals" by David Raw at £25 hardback, ISBN 0850523508. I haven't seen this one, but if it's as good as "The Birmingham Pals" in the same series you wouldn't be disappointed.

Obvioulsy there's "The West Yorks Regiment in the Gt War" by Everard Wyrall ( 2 volumes), but that wouldn't be so detailed, and is quite expensive.

PS The Pen & Sword book is available from Amazon at £17.70 inc p&p

PPS I use www.bookbrain.co.uk to do price comparison between the various on-line book-sellers - Amazon isn't always the cheapest & bookbrain does the searching for you.

PPPS If you don't want to buy you can always ask your local library to do inter-library loans for you if they don't have the books, unlikely unless you're in Bradford I suppose

Regards

Andy

There is another book out now about the Bradford Pals written by David Raw a superb enthusiast from Cumbria. Worth chasing it up,only published last year believe but David is a walking mine of information about the western front and is organising a tour to correspond with the 90th anniversary this year.

There's the City of Bradford Roll of Honour of all those who served. This is held on microfilm 5th flr, Bradford Central Library. It often includes battalion details and may give enlistment date and home address. If you quote his name I'll do a look up in the National Roll of the Great War, Bradford section, a copy of which I have. Regards Tim