Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Edward Gibson

royg

Hi everybody,

My grandfather,James Edward Gibson, was 48 years old when he signed up for the Army in 1915.

His MIC has him first as a private in the ASC then as a private in the Labour Corps.

Against the entry" theatre of war first sreved in" it has got (3) and thats all.

Date of entry therein 3-10-15.

He as discharged from the Army in March 1918.

I believe he was with the 25th. Labour Corps and would like to find out where he served.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards to all

Roy

Hi Roy

I am also researching my greatgrandfather and his MIC says "theatre of war (3)" also. I believe this means he served in Egypt, which tallies with the info i have already got. You could try to find out if his battalion was in Egypt on the "date of entry therein"

Good luck

Dave

Thanks for that Dave, but I,m really a novice at this, so how do I find out which battalion he was in and where they were?

I suppose it means a trip to The National Archives.

Regards, Roy

Guys

I may be mistaken, but the list of codes I have for the Operational Theatres of War shows "3" to be Russia (4/5 August 1914 - 1/2 July 1920).

Egypt is shown as "4", qualified by "a" to denote 4/5 Nov 1914 - 18/19 Mar 1916 or "b" to indicate 18/19 Mar 1916 - 31 October/1 November 1918.

Anybody know which is correct?

My list is en extract from "Army Service Records of the First World War" by WIlliam Spencer.

What was his ASC service number - this may give a clue to his employment?

I may be mistaken, but the list of codes I have for the Operational Theatres of War shows "3" to be Russia (4/5 August 1914 - 1/2 July 1920).

Egypt is shown as "4", qualified by "a" to denote 4/5 Nov 1914 - 18/19 Mar 1916 or "b" to indicate 18/19 Mar 1916 - 31 October/1 November 1918.

Anybody know which is correct?

Stephen

Link to the theatre codes on LLT mother site Theatre Codes shows that Egypt was (3) for soldiers qualifying for 1914-15 Star before being changed in 1916 to (4a & 4b.) for soldiers qualifying only for Victory and BWM's.

Hope this helps

Steve

Steve

Thanks for that. I'll modify the list that I have.

I shall have to talkk to a couple of chums for advice. Could be a while though.

As for his service in Eqypt, the ASC had troops in support of the defence of the Canal Zone, aourdn that time, and later for the invasion of Palestine. If he arrived in late 1915, he could have also been sent to replace casualties from the Gallipoli Campaign.

Stephen

Thanks again Stephen. Apart from his service records which have,nt survived, is there any way of finding out when he transferred from the ASC to the Labour Corps. His LC number was 349165.

The only other info. I have on him is a studio photo, taken in Malta, where I believe he was in hospital, as he was wearing that distinctive hospital uniform.

Kind regards

Roy

Not my area of experise I'm afraid - suggest that you close down this thread and try another under "Labour Corps "

Will still keeping looking on the ASC side; given his age, I think he must have been a volunteer so perhaps came through the Reserve in some way

Thanks for the help Stephen and yes I will look into the Laour Corps.

I believe there is a link somewhere on this site for this corps.

I still can,t get over the fact that he volunteered at 48 years of age!!!

When I first started researching him I was looking for him in the Boer War.

Kind regards

Roy