Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Lancs Regiment.

dplatt

Good Morning All,

I recently posted a photograph on this forum and asked for identification. It was suggested that the regiment was the East Lancs.

post-2448-1138514823.jpg

post-2448-1138514910.jpg

Thomas Cook, my great grandfather, joined up 21-4-15, served in Gallipoli where he was wounded and came home I believe. He also served in India as the photo shows.

He then went to France and was 'poisoned'.

At some point he ended up in the Essex and was invalided out of the army with SWB in 1918 28-2-18.

Is anyone able to give me a 'time-line' which may help me track him down, please?

Regards,

David.

David.

Is the photo definately in India? I only ask because apart from a small detachment from the 6/ELR in 1917/18 (and again in 1919), no East Lancs battalion actually saw service in India during the Great War.

Dave.

Dave,

The back of the card says 'Tarjeta Postal' and there is an inscription in ink saying that the photo was taken there. Is the capbadge that of the East Lancs?

Is it possible that he was there to get over a wounding? He was hit in the hand apparently.

I am trying to figure out what Thomas wrote on the back of the card, something like '..the man standing on my left is Sammy Lloyd's brother, he's in the XXXXX'. I can't yet read the rest but I believe he is saying that the man is in a different regiment. In which case I suppose the photo could represent a group of'mixed' men.

Is this making sense?

Cheers,

David.

Could that be an Essex Regt badge anyone?

Similar to East Lancs.

Stephen

Stephen,

It does look clearer with a magnifying glass but, imho, it isn't an Essex badge. The Sphinx is slightly offset and gives the curve to one side which the towers on the Essex regiment badge doesn't.

I did wonder, for a time, if it could be RAMC but I really can't see it being the Essex.

Thanks for your interest.

David.

David.

Is the photo definately in India? I only ask because apart from a small detachment from the 6/ELR in 1917/18 (and again in 1919), no East Lancs battalion actually saw service in India during the Great War.

Dave.

Quite a number of EL men were evacuated to India as a result of wounds/sickness in Mesopotamia. Phil B

Only that I knew an ex 11 EL man transferred to the 6th Bn in Mespot and he was evacuated to India with dysentry along with a number of others. Phil B

• 1 month later...

I got down to the military fair at Croydon and managed to check up the type of postcard that the photograph was displayed on.

It does seem to come from India so if anyone is able to give me a little push.....

The man in the photo who interests me seems to have gone on to the East Yorkshire AND the Essex.

Does any of this sound possible/plausible?

If Ian Bowbrick is still kicking, he was the one who put me on the track of a split medal reference on the MIC...right can of worms he opened up:)

David.