Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS Polegate & St Anthony's

salientpoints

Attached is an article about the intentions to commemorate the location & efforts of those stationed at RNAS Polegate in WW1.

If anyone has some information or images tucked away concerning RNAS Polegate or indeed RNAS St Antony's & Wilmington could they please get in touch with me?

I'd like to compile anything together in more detail for the local history group etc.

Thanks

Ryan

post-1391-1138497501.jpg

The following lads were serving at Polegate at the time of their deaths & are commemorated on the Eastbourne Central Military Hospital Memorial which is housed in the Redoubt Military Museum on Eastbourne seafront.

BARNES R S 201047 Corporal Royal Air Force Polegate. Formerly F1047 Leading Mechanic Royal Naval Air Service. Enlisted October 1914 as Air Mechanic 1. Died 1st November 1918. Buried EASTBOURNE (OCKLYNGE) CEMETERY Grave Z. 616. Rank on memorial is Private. Was an airship rigger at time of death.

DREWELL A E Albert Edward Drewell 119909 Air Mechanic 3rd Class (2nd Class on memorial) Royal Air Force 2nd Balloon Training Wing. Died 16th June 1919. Age 17. Buried EASTBOURNE (OCKLYNGE) CEMETERY Grave Z.544. Rank shown on Memorial is 2AM. (I have no confirmation this chap was at Polegate).

KIDD J A W James Alexander Kidd Second Lieutenant Royal Air Force Polegate formerly F2814 Royal Naval Air Service. Enlisted RNAS 29th November 1914. Born 26th November 1883 at Poplar. Promoted to WO2 on 1st December 1915. Served with Russian Armoured Cars from September 1916. Died 31st October 1918 of pneumonia. Age 34. Order of St. George 4th Class (Russia); Order of St. Stanilas 3rd Class (Russia). Son of James McFarlane Kidd and Mary Eliza Kidd, of London; husband of Miriam Annie Kidd, of The British Queen, Lower Willingdon, Sussex. Buried CITY OF LONDON CEMETERY, MANOR PARK Grave 51. 65791.

Hope this helps

All The Best

Chris

Thanks Chris

I'll keep all this together. I'm sure they may have already looked in the Redoubt as our main local military museum but saying that there's no guarantee!

Also the future of the Redoubt is still uncertain but I'm keeping an eye on it!

Cheers

Ryan

Attached is an article about the intentions to commemorate the location & efforts of those stationed at RNAS Polegate in WW1.

If anyone has some information or images tucked away concerning RNAS Polegate or indeed RNAS St Antony's & Wilmington could they please get in touch with me?

I'd like to compile anything together in more detail for the local history group etc.

Thanks

Ryan

post-1391-1138497501.jpg

Hi Ryan,

Are you aware that the station published it's own magazine in 1918. The Title was "The Ripping Panel". Issue No 1 was dated January 1918 and it was still being published in monthly issues in May 1918, but I don't know for how much longer it was published. It was printed by V.V.Sumfield in Station Road, Eastbourne. I don't suppose they are still there, but the local library might still have some info or perhaps even some issues. Failing that the first five issues are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton. They also hold a few photographs of the station and also a photo of a plaque listing 24 men who died whilst serving there. Do you have any idea of its present whereabouts.

If you would like any info on personnel who served there please e-mail me.

Hope this helps

Duncan

Thanks Duncan,

I didn't know about the magazine - incidentally Sumfield printers & stationers became Sumfield & Day, is still in existance and only moved from the station road premises late in 2005. The old building is to become a trendy new winebar / restaurant.

I will contact them in the first instance!

Cheers

Ryan