Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help needed to find sites

Guest kreb

This is my first time so please be gentle with me. I am trying to locate anything about the 4th Batt East Yorks Reg in 1913. My Father was in this reg at that time but I have no knowlege at all about him apart from being in a POW camp in germany during that war, I think he was wounded in France and was taken to Germany, any info would be a great help

Ken (kreb)

Welcome,

I have a large casualty list for the 1/4th Battalion for early 1915 giving names and company. If you would like to post his name I will check it for you,

Regards,

Steve.

Ken,

Welcome to the forum, this could be the site, what was your fathers name and number Im sure someone may be able to help.

Regards Charles

Thanks Charles, My fathers name was Tom William Major, he was in the 4th batt E, yorks reg and the only number i have is 1607, i am pretty sure he was in the trenches in france when he was wounded, then the next info i have he spent time in a pow camp in germany, I have his id card from the camp but it is in german and most of it i can not read, one word i can see says Fontain

Ken

Welcome,

I have a large casualty list for the 1/4th Battalion for early 1915 giving names and company. If you would like to post his name I will check it for you,

Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve that would be a great help I am asuming he was wounded in France but again I dont know

Ken

Hi Ken,

I have the list in front of me now and unfortunately he is not on it. The list is from the Hull Times, May 23 1915. It contains sick and wounded in hospital and those discharged between the dates of 25/4/15 and 14/5/15. There are approx. 200 named some with numbers very close to your father. My guess is he was wounded at a later date.

Sorry that I can't help further,

Steve.

Ken,

Tom joined the 1/4th EYR in June 1913 at Londsborough Barracks, Hull, which incidently is still in use. (4th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment Gazette July 1913). I will see if he is mentioned anywhere else.

Regards Charles