Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roll Call of Pals

Mark Hone

It would be great to meet up and get some photos of the Baker Pals on the Somme around 1st July. As we are now within a few months of the event, could we start a roll call of probable attendees?

God willing I shall be there with a colleague and 15 of my school battlefield tour veterans. I shall probably be recognisable in my Bury Grammar School CCF claret and primrose rugby shirt. (Pink and yellow to Oi Polloi and those who don't mind incurring the wrath of former Lancashire Fusiliers). I also, to quote my good friend John Hartley, 'look like a History teacher'. Told you you'd never hear the end of this, John.

So - my reputation for the speaking the truth remains unsullied.

Unfortunately, I shall not be able to meet up. My trip this year is to the Salient and in the Spring. Hope to see you at a WFA meeting soon (now 2nd Fridays) - did you know your former student is now Branch Chairman? Which, perhaps, enhances your reputation as a history teacher :)

John

Mark,

I am now working on being there for the 1st and would really like to catch up if possible. See my profile pic (still OK except I have more grey hair) and will be wearing a dark blue Pals polo shirt

Peter

I will be at Paul Reed's expo at L'val on those dates. Looking forward to both the expo itself and seeing a few 'heads' during my first trip to battlefields.

Des

Dunno what I'll be wearing!

Desmond,

There speaks a man with too many clothes.

I am toying with the idea of having a t-shirt printed front and back with

Des7 on Tour

Count me in, I'll wear a poppy so you can recognize me also this year will probably be tearing my hair out as Seb will be with me!

So a balding, screaming, poppy wearing woman should not be too hard to find!

Mandy

Angie, if we do get together we will take lots of piccies, well I will anyway and post them on the forum for all to see what a mottly crew we are when on the Battlefields!

Mandy

I will be there and in the Salient in May so will not see you.

Des - I'd rethink the T-shirt "motto", the French might mistake it for something sinister.

• 2 weeks later...

Remarkably my wife didn't vote down my proposal of a visit this year, though it will have to be incorporated into a family holiday, so I sincerely hope to be there too.

Steve

I will be over for the 1st and at Contalmaison in the morning,

Rodge

will be there from thursday Lochnager 7.30am marching to Thiepval and on to Serre in the Evening

Unfortunately we probably won't be able to make both Lochnagar and Serre due to the restrictions on our coach driver's hours. We'll probably hold a short act of commemoration near to our hotel at 7-30 am, before going on to Thiepval.

Mark,

I'm sure your party will like that just as much as it will be more personal, I will be at the sunken road as usual at 7:30am. We all have our own preferences. We used to go to Lochnagar in the early years but found the Sunken road more poingnant for us.

Mandy

I will be there just keeping an eye open on where to go and sorting an Itinerary. Am stopping in Peronne amd working my way upwards.

Would like to meet other PALS along the way.... suggestions I see but I need to be positive

John

• 3 weeks later...

Will be going to Longueval Sat pm.. and decided after looking at Rose Coombs book to wander the St Quentin canal and environs

John

Hi,

I am just so excited, but I will also be there along with IanW and Cynthia! We are just confirming the arrangements now. I'm not sure what our itinerary is at present, but I'm just so pleased to be going and hope to meet as many other 'pals' as possible. I'm looking forward to learning more as well as visiting some of the 'boys' that I have researched over the last few years.

Roll on July, Yippee.

Alie.

• 3 weeks later...

hello All

I had no plans to be on the Somme for the 90th Anniversery. I had contacted BBC local radio and plans were set in motion for me to be in the studio on Sunday 2 July and talk about the 1/8 and 1/6 Warwicks attacking the Heidenkopf Redoubt.

However, could not resist the temptation of being on the Somme and following the two Warwickshire Territorial battalions at 07:30 on Saturday 1 July. So, I am now going over with a couple of mates.

Too late to book anywhere now. We are going to take a couple of small tents and rough it and live on egg and chips in the Tommy Bar.

Look forward to meeting fellow Baker's Pals when I am there.

Regards

Terry

Hi All

Will be at Lochnagar at 0730 1st July as I will be with the Leger party

Chris

Despite the crowds and the marathon and all the other objections, I too have succumbed. Will be over from 29th to 3rd. Staying in Albert in a v nice chambre d'hote that I booked last week. If any Pals see a harrassed looking bloke with too many cameras, flapping around a green MX5 - That's me! Come and say hello. I don't bite.

Chris C

• 4 weeks later...

We'll be there from 27th to 1st July, staying in Peronne. Then on to Normandy.

We're hoping to follow the progress of some friends from the NE, involved in a Living History project.

We'll probably visit the Longauval exhibition before departing for Normandy late on the 1st.

Do any pals have any suggestions regarding commemorations/visits etc? We're from North Staffordshire, so our main interest is the north of the attack sector - was it 46th Division?

Our tour is now coming together. On Friday 30th June, the focus will be a 30th Division battlefield walk, Maricourt to Montauban, culminating in our laying a wreath at the Pals' memorial in Montauban. I also plan to visit La Boisselle, where one of the boys' great-grandfathers was killed on 4th July. Our intention is to visit Paul Reed's exhibition in the afternoon, Delville Wood and some other sites. On 1st July we hope to attend the Thiepval ceremony and the Pals' service at Serre.