Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SKYROS

bobpike

Does anyone know if it's possible to get from Lemnos to Skyros and if so how long does it take, is it possible the same day?

Thanks

Hi Bob,

while I haven't got a direct answer to your question, try the web site www.greekferries.gr or www.greekislands.gr

These may have clues to what you seek.

Cheers

Bill

Bill,

Thank you, I'll certainly give them a try. Looking at the atlas, though, I think the distance will preclude a day-trip,

Regards,

Bob

Bill,

Thank you, I'll certainly give them a try. Looking at the atlas, though, I think the distance will preclude a day-trip,

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Are you by any chance going to visit Rupert Brooke's grave? I'd love to go myself. I'd be interested to learn what you find out about accessibility.

regards

Jayne

Jayne,

It's looking more and more impratical, as a 'day-trip.' My aim is to spend the week in Thessaloniki, but going to Lemnos for Tuesday to Wednesday to visit their cemeteries. The idea was, if Skros was close by we could grab a short vist, but that looks not on.

I have a photo of Brooke's grave though if you'd like a copy?

Bob

Bob,

That would be great thanks.

I notice you mention Patrick Shaw Stewart - may I ask how you got interested in him? So many of Brookes comrades went on to galliploi and fell. I think Dennis Brownes account of Brookes burial very evocative and he was to die so shortly after too.

If you take photos of lemnos I'd be interested.

Thanks for your kind offer anyway. I'll be off line for a few weeks so dont think me rude if I dont reply to you for a while. Will be back on as soon as poss!!

Many thanks

Jayne

Jayne,

Dug out my slide of Brooke's grave, it's poor and won't scan - sorry.

Shaw-Stewart is a fascinating character and this snippet of his poem captures the romantic associations of Gallipoli and the Ancient World. I have been interested in the participants of the 'fading vision' ever since my first visit.

Yes, I'll send you a selection of Lemnos vistas, but you'll have to remind me.please, on my return in June - PM me,

Bob