Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

55th Division at Givenchy 1918

Mark Hone

I am planning a future tour which would aim to include 55th Division's epic stand during Operation 'Georgette' in April 1918. I have not yet visited the area. Is there much to see apart from the Divisional memorial?

There are at least some extant blockhouses with the division's rose stamped on them. How many I'm not sure, but Laurent of ARHAM will know. His website is here:-

ARHAM

I didn't think there was that much to see. I'll have to do some detailed research in situ, I think. I'll also get in touch with ARHAM. I've tried to involve them on a couple of my previous tours, but found them rather difficult to actually get out on site, even with the offer of money!

here is the same map (2005) near Cuinchy, La Bassee canal. in red the shelters positions (some of them are destroyed...) and circled in red 7 bunkers built by 55th Division.

post-4-1091713668.jpg

Mark, as Chris said there is little evidence today of the 55 Div stand. The bunkers with the Div emblem of Red Rose are a mile or so behind the front and were constructed in the summer of 1918. There is a map showing them on an earlier thread, so if you use the "search" facility you will find them. If you can't, let me know and I'll repost. Peter.

Look out for the plaque on the village hall commemorating the fact that it was paid for by Liverpool.

th_2a665_Givenchy_Village_Hall_Plaque.jp

Regards

Simon

Thanks for the information. A pity that there does not appear to be more to see. Nevertheless it could prove a worthwhile part of an Operation 'Georgette' tour. I shall certainly go and find the bunker on my recce.

Not a huge lot. A few craters up towards where Red Dragon Crater was. And a most intriguing Russian grave in the local civilian cemetery.

The surviving craters are a little north from where Red Dragon was located; the fields there are not flat, showing where the craters were filled in, but there is no sign of it today. The Russian grave you mention is WW2, from September 1944 I seem to remember? He is in a plot of men from the Dorsets and Worcesters who fell in the area in May 1940.

While there is not much to see at ground level, with the maps and photos from the 55th Division history you can follow the story quite well IMHO.