Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifleman KRRC,254th Tunneling Coy RE?

bobbluesboy

I have a pair of BWM,s to two brothers whose surname was Kaberry.One seved in the 17th battalion KRRC and the other served in the MGC.Kaberry is a pretty rare surname with only 7 soldiers serving in WW1 with this surname.My querie is to do with Rifleman Melbourne Kaberry 17th Battalion KRRC who was killed in action on 18/6/16.On the CWGC his details are the same apart from Secondary Unit, Royal Engineers and then, Attd 254th Tunnelling Coy RE.I would like to know was Melbourne Kaberry a tunneller? and also on 22/23 June 1916 William Hackett V.C. won his V.C. posthumously for refusing to leave an injured colleague when a gallery collapsed at Shaftesbury Avenue Mine, Givenchy and despite frantic efforts to rescue him died underground.Would Rifleman Kaberry have been also working on Shaftsbury Avenue Mine in preparation for the first day of the Battle of the Somme?

Both brothers were born in Lewisham,London, and his brother Charles who served as a Private in the Machine Gun Corps survived the War. All the best Bob.

In memory of C-3478 Rifleman Melbourne Kaberry Kings Royal Rifle Corps KIA 18th June 1916 who died with honour and also William Hackett V.C..

Hello

The 170th tunneling coy picked people for their skills in this field - would assume the same for this coy

Ian

Hello

The 170th tunneling coy picked people for their skills in this field - would assume the same for this coy

Ian

Thanks for your comments Ian.It,s a shame we can,t turn the clock back 90 years as I bet there is a good story behind this medal and similar,Bob.

Hello

I have only seen the 170th war diary and it was well documented with details on other ranks so you may well find out what happened yet

Ian

Kaberry could well have been a "clay kicker", as opposed to a miner. It was a skill specially developed by those labourers involved in building the London Underground railway network and was more suited to underground work in certain sectors of Flanders and France, than was general mining.

Graham.

Kaberry could well have been a "clay kicker", as opposed to a miner. It was a skill specially developed by those labourers involved in building the London Underground railway network and was more suited to underground work in certain sectors of Flanders and France, than was general mining.

Graham.

Hi Graham.Could well have been a clay kicker on the London Underground pre war.I know that in WW1 a lot of the Royal Engineers were on significantly more money than an infantry soldier which caused some animosity among the troops.A well qualified Sapper earned significantly more than an infantry Serjant.The part that I find unusual on CWGC is the secondary unit being 254thTunnelling Coy RE,I know that this unit did not last long as it was amalgamated with another RE Coy I think in later 1916.Thanks for your comments Graham,Bob.

Thanks for your comments Ian.It,s a shame we can,t turn the clock back 90 years as I bet there is a good story behind this medal and similar,Bob.

Just like to add both these medals turned up in Oldham,Lancs, a fair way from home.If anyone knows the whereabouts of the death plaque to MELBOURNE KABERRY or Victory medals to these 2 soldiers please let me know.Cheers Bob.