Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is Who in Gunnery Unit

Nathan Greenfield

During 2nd Ypres there were several Canadian 18-pdr and other artillery units in action.

Does anyone know the names of all of the men assigned to a gun.

I want to describe firing "open sites."

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Nathan

Hello,

I am not an expert and will no doubt be contradicted. However, the men assigned to a gun are called a 'detachment'. The 18 pounder needed 6 men. They each had specific tasks e.g loader, aimer etc but were formally only referred to as numbers. Number 1 was a sergeant. The members of a well trained detachment would be able to take over one anothers jobs. The sergeant would be in charge of the gun, the limber and the horses. I quess you mean 'open sights' i.e. shooting at a target that can be seen from the gun position. Two guns would be under the control of a junior officer who would direct fire over open sights.

Old Tom

Hi

This is taken from 13 pounder drill 1917

General duties in action

1 is responsible for the entire service of the gun. He commands, attends to the traversing lever, but will not touch it once the gun is layed. He orders deflection for difference in level of wheels. He assists in passing orders down the battery when necessary. He will occasionally examine the settings on the sight clinometer, range, and fuze indicators.

2 attends to the breech mechanism, range indicator, clamping gears, and brake; lowers and raises the shield, and attends to the fuze indicator on the shield when required.

When an order is given to "add," or " drop," the range for his gun he will make the necessary alteration on his range indicator and call out the new range loud enough for 6 to hear.

3 lays, fires, attends to the releasing lever of the brake, and assists 2 to raise the lower shield. When laying direct he should level the sight clinometer as soon as possible.

4 loads, assists in setting fuzes when required, and attends to aiming posts if in use.

5 sets fuzes and supplies ammunition.

6 attends to the fuze indicator, and assists in supplying ammunition

Hope it helps, I suspect 18 pounders would not be that diferent.

Gareth