Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal rolls index card

andrew pugh

Hello everyone

Im asking for some help on a Index Card. I have a copy of my Gt Gt Uncles M. I .C.,and on the first line it gives his name,MORRELL HENRY J .Corps 1st R/Fus Rank Pte Regt No 9571,and on the second line where it says Rolls there is a number SRTP/104 B3,. page 246.And below that 1915 Star TP/54b page 17.What does this mean,as Ive been trying to trace his movements in three Battalions of the Royal Fusiliers .At the bottom of the card it has (1)France and Date of entry therein 4-12-14.Does this mean that was the day he joined up or the day he landed in France?.Also would there be any info on the reverse side of the card telling of the dates he was wounded,(He was wounded twice that I know)Im sorry if Ii have gone a bit around the houses on trying to explain this Index Card.Hope someone can help as I have had to start all over again with my research on this young man.

Thanks for being patient.

Regards

Andy.

Andy

there is a number SRTP/104 B3,. page 246.And below that 1915 Star TP/54b page 17.

These are the Army Medal Office references and can be translated (using the registers at the NA, Kew) into entries in the relevant Medal Rolls, you will however have to go to the NA to do this. These are extremely useful as they will give you the battalion details and often the dates he served with each. The Royal Fusiliers Medal Rolls are especially good for this.

At the bottom of the card it has (1)France and Date of entry therein 4-12-14.Does this mean that was the day he joined up or the day he landed in France?.

That's the date he dis/embarked in/for France, some MIC's have dates that are those for embarkation, others disembarkation, being France I shouldn't think there's much in it though.

Also would there be any info on the reverse side of the card telling of the dates he was wounded

Reverse side of the card had a postal address (sometimes), either for the soldier or the next of kin for delivery of the medals etc. No details of wounds received I'm afraid.

Hope this helps

Steve

Hi Andy

The WFA now have the original index cards. Have a look at their site to see if they are doing look ups yet to see if any info. is recorded on other side of card, as I am not sure.

Annette

Reverse side of the card had a postal address (sometimes), either for the soldier or the next of kin for delivery of the medals etc. No details of wounds received I'm afraid.

Hope this helps

Steve

Estimates vary as to the number of cards with details on the back (between 1% and 10% are the figures I have seen).

Sometimes the word 'over' (or suchlike) appears at bottom right indicating the existence of information on the reverse.

Mike

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all that information,it will help me no end.It looks like a trip down to the P.R.O.

Once again thanks

Andy.