Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Conscription

ffau0577

Would anyone have details of when conscription was introduced in WW1. I have a grandfather who served in WW1. At the outbreak of war he would have been 35 a coal miner and had 5 children. Would he have been a volunteer or conscripted?

Fred,

Regarding the Great War period, Conscription in Britain was introduced in january 1916. Up till then enlistment was voluntary. Re your grandfather, what details do you have on him? Coal miners did a vital job, so I believe it was a "starred" occupation (one that would keep a man from serving in the army). Some miners who joined the army worked doing tunnels.

a couple of threads have dealt with the issue recently: this one about the 90 years of its introduction, and this one reviews a book on the subject.

If you search "coal Miners" and "conscription" within the Forum you'll find more threads which might be of interest to you. Also check Chris' site and look at home for whatever info you have on your grandfather.

Gloria

Conscription was introduced in January 1916.

Bob.

1916 yes, but not January for this man. He sounds married to me, and only single men were called up under Military Service Act 1 (MSA1) in January.

Married men were called up a few months later. Exactly when has slipped my mind, but no doubt someone else will post the date and save me the trouble of looking it up. :lol:

In May 1916.

(Beppo, you shouldn't overlook this gift of peering into the future: some astrologists make a wealthy living out of it! :P )

Gloria

In May 1916.

(Beppo, you shouldn't overlook this gift of peering into the future: some astrologists make a wealthy living out of it! :P )

Gloria

Gloria

The lazy mans way to riches is also the lazy mans way to research. :rolleyes:

Now, about the winning numbers for the lottery... :lol:

Fred,

Regarding the Great War period, Conscription in Britain was introduced in january 1916. Up till then enlistment was voluntary. Re your grandfather, what details do you have on him? Coal miners did a vital job, so I believe it was a "starred" occupation (one that would keep a man from serving in the army). Some miners who joined the army worked doing tunnels.

a couple of threads have dealt with the issue recently: this one about the 90 years of its introduction, and this one reviews a book on the subject.

If you search "coal Miners" and "conscription" within the Forum you'll find more threads which might be of interest to you. Also check Chris' site and look at home for whatever info you have on your grandfather.

Gloria

Thanks for ithe info.Unforunatally I have virtually no info on his WW1 record. I have searched the medal rolls on the TNA pages but there are to many Alfred Faulkners. No one knows what happened to his medals so I cannot find his service number. He lived in Staffordshire and I found one for the South Staffs Reg. But I know not all recruits went into their local units. A family story has it he may have been returned back to England after a gas attack.Guess I'll have to try and get to TNA to search the records, but i'ts a long journey from Australia for a weekend.

Fred Faulkner

Fred,

Have you tried posting a request in the "I'm Going to the NA" section of the forum. Maybe a member who is due to go there soon could help you.