Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tubby Clayton of Toc H fame

andyspiller

Thought that the Pals may be interested in these pictures. I have walked past this building many times but only looked up the other week and saw this.

Rgds

Andy

post-195-1138373616.jpg

Andy,

What's missing from your photographs of course is the ADDRESS.

I remember Tubby very well, he was a lovely man. He and my grandfather met at Ypres in 1917 and became lifelong friends, indeed he officiated at my grandparents wedding in 1927 and gfthr wrote an obituary of him in 1971 (gfthr died 2 yrs later). I have diary references to the 2 of them (and I'm not sure who else) going on a trip to the battlefields in 1966.

I wonder if your pics are near the Tower of London, I remember coming down from school to have tea with Tubby at All Hallows by the Tower.

The Toc H archives dept in Abingdon are very good on Tubby material - as well as the ongoing good work of Toc H !!!

Julian

yes, sorry, looking at the 2nd 'phot, I'm sure this is where I came as a schoolboy

Julian

Yup, you are quite correct, the house is in the road that connects the back entrance to Fencurch St station and Tower Hill. Trinity House is directly opposite (HQ of UK Lighthouses). Across the way is the Tower Hill Merchant Navy memorial.

I had to drastically reduce the photos to get them into the forum - drop me an email if you would like copies of the originals (approx 800kb ea).

Rgds

Andy

PS Visited Pop a couple of years ago and was given a tour by Jacques Ryckebosch - truely a memorable experience.

Yup, you are quite correct, the house is in the road that connects the back entrance to Fencurch St station and Tower Hill. Trinity House is directly opposite (HQ of UK Lighthouses). Across the way is the Tower Hill Merchant Navy memorial.

When I lived in Essex, I must have passed this spot hundreds of times and never noticed. Shame on me!

Angie

Lived in Essex all my life (40 something years) and only noticed the plaque at the end of last year. I wonder how many people walk past every day and never notice, must be thousands. You really have to be on the Trinity House side of the road to have any chance of seeing it ;) .

Rgds

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andy

Great post

Will drop by and take a look.....

Tom....