Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Easter Sunday 1916

Owen D

Story from Walter Spencer 18723 4th Bn Grenadier Guards.

On Easter Sunday, 1916, the 4th Grenadier Guards were at 107 Camp, between Ypres and Poperinghe and I attended a Church Parade , which was held in a large Nizzen Hut.

About half way through the Service the Hut received a direct hit from a German 12 " High Explosive shell.

It completely demolished the hut, killed 17 soldiers and badly wounded 54 more.

Those of us who were not wounded were completely buried among the debris of the hut and helped eachother out.

We were all concussed from the blast waves of the shell and debris of the wooden hut.

I've keyed this in exactly as I have it from Walter.

Anyone know anymore about it? It's not mentioned in Ponsonby's History of Gren Gds.

Owen - Easter Sunday, 1916 was 23rd April. "Soldiers Died in the Great War" lists no deaths for 4 Grenadier Guards on that date. The entire regiment seems to have lost two men on that date (both in 2nd Battalion) and both are buried in Ypres Reservoir Cemetery.

Walter Spencer doesn't say that any of the 17 dead were Grenadiers, however.

Tom

Extract from 4 Bn Grenadier Guards War Diary.

24-4-16 Battn attended Divine Service yesterday(Easter Sunday) No.1 Coy. + No. 4 Coy. inoculated yesterday & excused duty for 48 hours. No 2, 3 Coys route march and training. No 2 Coy Sports today under Coy arrangements. Capt C.H. BLUNDELL sent down sick by M.Os orders. Lt GOSCHEN appointed to No 1 Coy. Lt H.H. SLOANE STANLEY takes temporary charge of No 2 Coy pending return of Capt BRITTEN.

Sorry no direct hit on Nissen Huts or shelling of any kind.

John

As to my previous post the 4 Bn Grenadier Guards were in Camp C at VLAMERTINGHE from the 19 TO 27 April 1916.

John