Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Explosion at Le Harve & Stolen Chickens.

Owen D

One of my old Veterans that I used to know was Aleck Jones.

23(3or5)84 10th Glosters Dec 15 to Apr 16.

32359 Gren Gds 4th & 1st Bns Jan 18 - Apr 19

One story he told me was when he was on the Grenade range at the Base at Le Harve he lobbed his grenade and when it went off there was a bloody great explosion across the river. He thought one of the Ammo factories or dumps went up. He said it was biggest greande explosion he'd seen.:)

I know the Guards Divisional Depot was at Harfleur which could date the explosion to when he was there spring/summer 18 or it may have happened in Dec 15 before joining 10th Glos.

Obviously there is no connection between his grenade and the bigger explosion but I wonder if anyone out there may have any idea about it? It used to make Aleck laugh.

Another story dates to his time with 10th Glosters. Aleck said they were billeted in a farm and they kept nicking the chickens. The farmer complained. They had to swap farms with a Scottish unit. The Gloster lads sneaked back to the farm nicked the rest of the chickens and the Jocks got done for it!

One of my old Veterans that I used to know was Aleck Jones.

23(3or5)84 10th Glosters Dec 15 to Apr 16.

32359 Gren Gds 4th & 1st Bns Jan 18 - Apr 19

One story he told me was when he was on the Grenade range at the Base at Le Harve he lobbed his grenade and when it went off there was a bloody great explosion across the river. He thought one of the Ammo factories or dumps went up. He said it was biggest greande explosion he'd seen.:)

I know the Guards Divisional Depot was at Harfleur which could date the explosion to when he was there spring/summer 18 or it may have happened in Dec 15 before joining 10th Glos.

Obviously there is no connection between his grenade and the bigger explosion but I wonder if anyone out there may have any idea about it? It used to make Aleck laugh.

Another story dates to his time with 10th Glosters. Aleck said they were billeted in a farm and they kept nicking the chickens. The farmer complained. They had to swap farms with a Scottish unit. The Gloster lads sneaked back to the farm nicked the rest of the chickens and the Jocks got done for it!

Like you I was lucky enough to be regaled with soldier's tales. I can believe a Grenadier Guardsman causing enormous explosions and don't know why your pal was so modest ;) However, the notion that there would be a stealable chicken left , five minutes after a Scots unit arrived, that I find too much to swallow.