Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Conflicting MICs for same(?) Soldier

PBI Friday

Being a Salford lad myself and having more than a passing interest in the Lancashire Fusiliers and its Pals Battalions, I couldn’t resist having a bid for a 14/15 Star on Ebay a few months back. I purchased the medal for what I consider a fair price (about 30 quid I think it was), having done a CWGC check on the man which had come up with a match for a John Chadwick listed as KIA on the 10/08/1918 with the 16 th Btn Lancs Fus (2nd Salford Pals).

I am now getting down to trying to do a bit of research on the bloke and have made a start by getting his MICs (there are two), but this has led to a bit of confusion.

post-5455-1138314009.jpg

The first MIC (above) shows 8162 Pte John Chadwick, Lan Fus, as ‘K in a 10-8-18’ and shows his Theatre of War first served in as ‘1’ (France), ‘Date of entry therein 25-9-1915’. So far, pretty straight forward, eh?

post-5455-1138314029.jpg

The other MIC (above) shows 8162 Pte J. W. Chadwick, 9/Lan Fus, as ‘ K in A. 8-7-15(these numbers are lightly crossed out, then…)10-8-18, amended auth H/1/17/B’. In comments it also states ‘deleted from this roll H/1/17/B/10. This man’s name is to appear on roll of the 11 th BN Lanc Fus’. It shows Theatre of War first served in as ‘(2B) Balkans’ and ‘Date of Entry therein 11-7-15’.

So, we have a man with an MIC indicating service with the 9 th Btn Lanc Fus, who has been amended to appear on the rolls for the 11 th Btn Lanc Fus, who appears on CWGC as KiA with the 16 th Lanc Fus. This is confusing the heck out of me.

Any ideas Pals?

I would suspect the actual Roll pages would make it clearer,{as it will hopefully give all Bns served with}it is apparent that the second card was probably made up in error,as a card already existed,this was realised & his name deleted {with an errata on the Roll,to denote it}from the second Roll page,not an uncommon occurence,I would imagine that he was posted to the 11th Bn,then on to the 16th with which he was KiA.

As you can see there are no BWM/VM entries on the 2nd card,so in effect it is defunct,as the information on it just records its erronous nature & the fact the star has been deleted:~Tidy Book~Keeping

Thanks for the speedy and concise reply Harry.

I had suspected that it could have been an adminsitrative error. I still think it a bit weird that he has has two completely different theatres listed on the cards though.....

It must have been a nightmarish task for the poor souls employed in filing and processing all the MICs!!!!

Neither the 11th of 16th served at actually Gallipoli...and the 9th did not actually arrive until August...strange one.

Ditto what Harry said, it looks to me as though the clerk has become confused with John Chadwick who served in France, and a JW chadwick who served in the Balkans which i would think is where the error stemmed from. I reckon if you made a search for a JW Chadwick you would find another MIC for him first entering the Balkans, though under a different reg No.

Regards Ian.

Hi,

If you just key into the MIC's online, 8162 and Chadwick, another MIC comes up, which totals three in all. One of which states its incomplete. Just wondered if this might help or hinder?

Alie.

Guys, thanks all for your replies,

I'm erring towards what Ian has suggested following Harry's initial post. It does seem likely that the clerk processing the cards could have been mixed up between two different Chadwicks. Come to the think of it, the erroneous MIC doesnt make much sense at all..... it seems at first to suggest that Chadwick was KiA before he had even disembarked!!!!

Alie: I don't know why I had overlooked the third MIC..... perhaps like the clerk who processed the original cards, I was having an off-day ;) ....... I'll copy that one off too if ever I get another chance to go to the PRO National Archives!! Maybe it will shed some new light on the info already at hand.

Many thanks again for your interest pals,

Regards,

David.

David,

I have plenty of 'off days' myself I can assure you!

But I am hopeful to get to the NA over the next couple of days, will check out the other MIC for you, and if I get time, will take out the medal rolls.

Will PM you with any results.

Alie.

David,

I have plenty of 'off days' myself I can assure you!

But I am hopeful to get to the NA over the next couple of days, will check out the other MIC for you, and if I get time, will take out the medal rolls.

Will PM you with any results.

Alie.

Alie,

Thanks very much for your kind offer. I would appreciate you having a look at the MIC for me.

Now that you mention it, what is the procedure for examining the medal rolls? I have only been to the NA once and spent most of my time there printing out about 40 MICs for known (and suspected) ancestors of mine. I only had about an hour and a half there, so didn't go any firther than that.

Am I right in thinking that you can request the actual medal rolls based on the information supplied by the MIC? In this case, the rolls would relate to the 'H/1/17/B/10' as noted on Chadwick's MIC. Are you actually allowed to handle the rolls? I really wouldn't know what to do next having looked at the MIC, so if you could let me know the procedure regarding the rolls, perhaps I would be able to help you or other Pals in the future when I get another chance to visit the NA.

Kind Regards,

David.

Hi David,

I had a look today for John Chadwick.

I found easily the two MIC's that you already have, but the other incomplete one, I could not find, or else it was not in an obvious place ie alphabetical.

Anyway, I did manage to take out his British War Medal and Victory medal roll. It seems that he served with, the 11th Lancs Fus, then the 13th, then the 3rd, then the 2nd, then the 9th and finally the 16th!! Phew! I do have a copy of the medal roll if you would like to have it. Just PM me with an address and I will forward it on.

You are correct when you say that you can request the medal rolls based on the the info from the MIC, and yes you can handle the original rolls. (Although there are a few on microfilm). You have to convert the codes on the MIC and I am sure the staff would be able to show you. I don't think that I could explain it as well as them!

Alie.