Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th RWSD corps?

nellys

My Great Grandfather served in India. A photo of him in uniform is dated 1914 Wrexham barracks. He was from Staffordshire. He served until at least January 1918, when he recieved a card at Decan war hospital, Decan poona (not sure of spellings). The picture gives an idea of regimental cap badge shape but no detail Service no. 25 (either 2 or 3)78, his name was William Wootton. Have tried to identify badge and regiment but no luck so far. Can anyone suggest where I may find more info. Thanks Nel

Nel

Here's a starting point.....

25378 Private William Wooton, Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

A link to his MIC is Here

Hope this helps

Steve

His name is actually spelt with 'tt' I did try the medal index but no results found.

It's always more awkward when they don't spell the surname the way it should be (or we want it to be), but hey that's half the fun of researching family history. It would be far too easy if they always spelt it the same way.... ;)

One slight hitch the 8th Bn, Royal Welsh Fusiliers never served in India. The farthest they got was Mesopotamia. As far as my sources go they show that no RWF units served in India, but Langleybaston may be able to confirm or deny this.

Graham.

This makes things a little more interesting..... His photo shows Wrexham barracks August 1914. He was 33ys +- 1yr.

He was only entitled to the British medal, not the Victory, my interpretation is that he wouldn't have recieved this if he served in India. But as you say the 8th didn't get as far as India.

Could he have been in a different battalion initially? The card sent to Deccan Hospital is dated Jan 23rd 1918 and is definately 8th RWF.

From another source the 13th Western Division of which the 8th were a part, were in Gallipolli July 1915 until Jan 1916 then Egypt on the Suez until Feb 1916. Then to Mesopatamia until the Armistice. It seems he would possibly been in time for Gallipoli but why no VM? Are medal index ever wrong?? I'm more confused now... but thanks for all your replies Nel.