Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

legend or fact?

jamesbow

hi to all,

as a newbie here i would like to ask a question regarding facial hair.i was led to believe since a child that my father was special because he was allowed to have a long waxed ,moustache.as a leading stoker i thought this was not allowed(kings regs) you had to have a full beard and moustache or clean shaven,you could not have just a beard, or just a moustache.i have photo's of my father in uniform ,at sea and in his tropical whites with his moustache,any ideas would be very welcome.i have been asked also to put my fathers service record on here,so here goes:

william alfred bowskill born bedfordshire 1883, he joined up on the 28-12-1905 .

ships , shore stations are as follows:

acheron

pembroke

topaze

diamond (sunfish)

st george(sunfish)

astraea (sunfish)

actaeon(porcupine)

doris

drake

bacchante july1914-feb 1916

prince george

pyramus

europa.

i have a speech written on wax stamped paper of admiral de robeck to the fleet on leaving the dardanelles,talks about lord kitchener etc.if any one is intrested i will post it on here when i work out how to do it?.

all the best jamesbow

Wasn't there a conversation on this sort of thing last year? IIRC 'Dirty Dick' was one of the participants.

Someone had a postcard of a sailor with just a moustache and wanted to know more.

...i have a speech written on wax stamped paper of admiral de robeck to the fleet on leaving the dardanelles,talks about lord kitchener etc.if any one is intrested i will post it on here when i work out how to do it?.

all the best jamesbow

James, welcome to the forum. You have posed an interesting question and I will watch with interest to see what comes of it.

Concerning the speach by De Robeck, yes please!

Regards,

Bruce

Hello James,

This is an extract from the regulations at the time so could well have been an exception to the rule. Royal Naval Reserve and Royal Fleet Reserve personnel could wear a Moustache whilst training. It would be nice to see the photograph if you can post it.

KR & AI. 1913 Chapter XIII Section VII Art. 0553

553. Beards and Moustaches. - The Captain is to permit all the officers and men of the ship, including the Royal Marines, to wear beards and moustaches if they so desire.

When the permission is taken advantage of the use of the razor is to be entirely discontinued, as moustaches are not to be worn without the beard, nor the beard without moustaches, except in the case of officers' stewards and cooks, and marines, who, whether afloat or ashore, may wear their beards and moustaches or moustaches only, as each may elect.

2. The hair of the beard and moustaches or whiskers is to be kept well cut and trimmed. The Captain is to give such directions as may seem to him desirable upon these points, and is to establish, so far as practicable, uniformity as to the length of the hair, beards, moustaches or whiskers of the men.

If you could post a scan of his service certificate it would let the experts give a better summary.

Yes please for the speech that would be nice.

Regards Charles

Welcome on board James.

I hope you manage to sort out the scanning and uploading technique because I would very much like to read de Roebck's speech.

Best wishes

David

thanks for replies,

have'nt mastered putting photos ,scans on yet. i did try a little earlier,but got message saying photo to big?.will try again tomorrow,james

Wasn't there a conversation on this sort of thing last year? IIRC 'Dirty Dick' was one of the participants.

Someone had a postcard of a sailor with just a moustache and wanted to know more.

Yes I was involved in this thread also & submitted a couple photos of sailors wearing moustaches, but I tried last nite to pull up that thread (useing keywords) unsuccessfully.

I was told that a lot of the older posts have been archived but I dont know how to access them tho - perhaps a moderator can advise us on this????

Bry

Both Porcupine & Sunfish were Destroyers of 1895, both were sold in 1920.

The ships before them are Cruisers - Diamond, St George, Astraea, Actaeon - at that time serving as Destroyer Depot ships.

Doris was a 2nd class Cruiser of 1896 - she saw service in the Boer war & contributed sailors to the Naval Brigade ashore during that conflict.

She also participated in the Dardanelles campaign of 1915-16 & bears battle honours for both campaigns.

She was named for the wife of the sea-god Nereus & mother of Nereides in Greek mythology.

Bryan

Vice-Admiral Gordon Campbell mentions in his book My Mystery Ships (About Q-Ships) that he had a moustache.

His reason was so he look like a "Merchantman" when trying to lure U-Boats.

When ashore and in full uniform with a moustache I think he found it startled other sailors, which amused him.

He certainly describes it as something extraordinary.

zoo

Still unable to locate the thread concerning moustaches in the RN, but as I recall the conclusion was that RNR & RNVR (& perhaps RFR) ratings & Marines were permitted moustaches.

Perhaps Dirty Dick will recall the detail if he picks up on this.

Bryan

Having now seen the photo, its unlikely he was RNR/RFR in tropical kit, in those days it would take 3 or 4 days to get tropical so not worth it unless on attatchment.

“The RNR and RFR men were allowed to keep their moustaches whilst in uniform provided they were only conducting their initial or refresher training for a period of less than 7/14 days. Upon mobilisation they were required to shave them off.”

Bryan a thread on moustaches but not conclusive.

Regards Charles

Thanks Charles - I just read it but I must have missed it first time round as dont recall it but I see one of the pics from my collection has been used but thats OK as I know the chap that used it.

I was mistaken tho when I mentioned above tha I was a participant - actually Dirty Dick had posed the same moustache question on the British Medal Forum & thats how we got into that discussion & that was the one I was involved in.

In any event - here sis the link to the BMF & that topic for those following this thread:

http://www.britishmedalforum.com/viewtopic...light=moustache

Bryan