Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Newest Acquisition

David_Bluestein

Would like to share my newest acquisition with the Pals. This will now mark the start of a NEW research project; The discovery of:

28th Bn., Canadian Infantry (Saskatchewan Regt.)

The Son of Joseph and Maria Turney, of Church Farm, Slapton, Leighton Buzzard, England. Killed in action on October 8, 1915. He was 23 years of age.

The official History of the unit records:

Lt. Macintyre made a report of sounds of tunneling to British Tunneling Unit. He was told that counter saps were being dug to intercept the German tunnels. At 5:00 PM, 2 mines exploded under the "Glory Hole" section of trenches (trenches G1 & G2) where Major C.R. Hill's D Company, from Saskatoon and Prince Albert, was posted along with the Battalion Bombing Section. Men were blown 50 yards by the blasts and the brass buttons on their tunics were flattened. The company was nearly wiped out with. 19 killed, 30 wounded and 7 missing.

Note (The Memorial Plaque was incorrectly named to and should have read ‘Joseph’)

If any members have any other information on the events of October 8, 1915, or of Buzzard England please let me know.

Much thanks

David

Guest Ian Bowbrick

David,

You lucky so and so! - Nice to get the full set. The plaque has that lovely chocolate patina which I think always gives it that extra je ne sais quoi.

Ian

Thanks Lee, for the link.

After further research, it has come to my attention that the CWGC has incorrectly shown

Is this a mistake that CWGC would address?

Hi David,

We had already discussed this group. It's great to get a look at it. What a beauty! Lots of luck researching this!

David,

I live in Milton Keynes, about 10 miles from Leighton Buzzard. I think that the local paper from that time also covered LB, If you like, the next time that I am down the library I'll have a look to see if there is any mention of him.

Ian

If you like, the next time that I am down the library I'll have a look to see if there is any mention of him.

Ian

Ian,

Thanks so very much for the kind offer to check the newspapers. What a fantastic offer! Living in Canada, this opportunity is all but impossible for me, and your help is kindly received. I will e-mail you off forum.

Best wishes

David

It could be that Robert Turney's name appears on a local memorial in Leighton Buzzard. I've found this to be quite common when men still had family in their home town.

As I live some distance away I can't help but perhaps somebody a bit nearer ?

Regards

Rob

It could be that Robert Turney's name appears on a local memorial in Leighton Buzzard.

I wonder if his name would be on the Slapton war memorial (assuming they have one) rather than Leighton Buzzards' war memorial. I live in Wolverton which is not that far from LB, but I can't get down that way for sometime yet.

Pte Turney was in the 15th Platoon (according to the website Paul posted earlier) but the page linked to his name doesn't seem to want to open :angry:

The picture of his platoon is small, but according to the notes he is in the 2nd row from the back and 3rd from the left.

Thanks to all who contributed to my thread, all your advice, and links etc are gratefully received.

Paul, thanks for the note about the 28th Battalion web site. I had heard about it, but never visited; and as Lee discovered, Pte. Ty’s Platoon photo does not open to a larger view. Small is better then nothing! So I will be pleased to have at least an image of Robert Turney.

The mine explosion at Kemmel must have come as such a great shock to the newly arrived 28th Battalion. A group that were only at the front for the second time, and to be initiated in such a tragic way-loosing an entire company. Robert Turney and his comrades probably never knew what ‘hit’ them.

Best wishes

David

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

PS: Thanks Lee for posting the photo!

QUOTE (Rob HAmilton @ Fri, 5 Sep 2003 07:29:55 +0000)

It could be that Robert Turney's name appears on a local memorial in Leighton Buzzard. 

I wonder if his name would be on the Slapton war memorial (assuming they have one) rather than Leighton Buzzards' war memorial. I live in Wolverton which is not that far from LB, but I can't get down that way for sometime yet.

Made a Reccie to Leighton Buzzard this morning. Regret to advise that Robert Turney doesn't appear on the memorial. Also had a search around Slapton (pretty little village) but I doesn't seem to have a memorial. Turney appears to be quite a popular name locally - Leighton Buzzard has 1 Turney & Soulbury nearby has 3 more. It is possible that Robert Turney may turn up on a local memorial I haven't visited yet.

Sorry I couldn't 'produce the goods'

Will

Thanks for trying Will,

After searching the net, I discovered the following:

Pte. Robert is shown on the: 'Leighton Buzzard Beaudesert School Roll Of Honour' HOWEVER, he is not shown (as confirmed by a web site, and yourself) to be on the: 'Leighton Buzzard War memorial' (See links)

Strikes me as odd?

I'll keep on looking....

Photo shows the Leighton Buzzard Beaudesert School Roll Of Honour

post-8-1062991553.jpg