Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery MIC - Theatre of War France

Guest jadeguy

My Great-Grandfather's MIC states he served in France (1) Theatre of War

It is difficult to read the date of entry (see below)

Could be 14-09-1915 or 14-09-1916

I assumed it was in 1915 because he received a Star (1915)

However I know he married 30 Sept 1915 in Colchester

Colchester District, Sept Qtr, Vol 4A, Page 2177

How can this be possible?

Any advice appreciated

post-10501-1138273651.jpg

The date appears to be 1915,perhaps he was wounded on arrival in France or had special leave granted on his arrival if his Marriage had been previously arranged?[That is if you are 100% it is him?]

It also seems the Medals were returned for adjustment?

Thank you.

I cannot be 100% sure. It only seems that the facts fit except for this one massive problem.

He was definitely a gunner with the RFA (as his father before him)

and he lived in Gloucester after the war.

Is there a way I can track down his division? I presume the date of 14-09-1915 will give a clue.

There must be a record of arrivals in France (and where they arrived from) on this particular date. That might help confirm facts.

Is there a way of finding out who was stationed in Colchester at this time? What divisions. His address on marriage certificate is Canterbury Road!!!

Sorry - so many questions....

Jade

Do you know categorically that he was in the Royal Field Artillery?, there were in addition to the RFA two other artillery formations, the Royal Garrison Artillery and Royal Horse Artillery.

Assuming you're conclusion is based on him being listed as William C Guy then there is another possibility in the RGA, a link is Here

However, there is also every possibility that he could be any of the William Guys or W. Guys listed on the MIC's online.

A further question, if you have his marriage certificate what does it say his occupation was?

Hope this helps

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for your help too.

Yes, I do know he was in the RFA (Gunner) - this is the occupation stated on his marriage certificate in 1915.

He is still stated as a Gunner in the RFA by 1918 when his son is born - my grand-fathers brother.

It does state on his MIC

William Charles Guy served as Gunner 87350 with Royal Field Artillery

Gunner 366669 with Royal Engineers

Gunner 10843 with Royal Garrison Artillery

Gunner 594485 with Labour Corps

Gunner 53436 with Gloucester Regiment

So he seemed to move about a lot?

His father of the same name (William Guy) is also in the RFA according to the 1901 Census - so it seems to be a family occupation.

Just going to look at your link. Thanks for that.

Jade

I do know he was in the RFA (Gunner) - this is the occupation stated on his marriage certificate in 1915.

He is still stated as a Gunner in the RFA by 1918 when his son is born - my grand-fathers brother.

Without his actual service record that's just about the best info you could have to tie him down to a particular unit and ties him down to the RFA from 1915 until 1918 at least. It states quite categorically that he was RFA so please ignore my link to the RGA guy (excuse the pun) in my earlier reply as that's now obviously not the case!

However the MIC you've got doesn't categorically say William Charles, only William C so it's still possible that this is the MIC for someone else and that he could still be any one of the William or W. Guy's on the MIC's.

Have you tried looking for his service record? IMHO this is the only way, unless you can come up with some more information (like a service number, medals etc.), that you will be able to identify him categorically.

Sorry this doesn't sound very helpful.

Regards

Steve

Thanks, actually you have been helpful. I'm obviously not experienced in this and guidance is needed and appreciated.

Re: the service records. I understand I would need to go to Kew for these? This would be very difficult for me or would not be able to do so for a significant period of time. And I am very interested in putting the pieces of my lineage together. And, of course, especially interested in the war service of my great grandfather.

I understand my other option is to employ a researcher?

Are you able to recommend one?

Jade

I've gone through the list of MIC's for William Guy on the NA website and it would appear that there are five possibles for your William (based on knowing his middle initial is C in order to discount the others) in addition to the William C Guy that you've already found.

Guy, William, Corps: Royal Field Artillery, Regiment No: 675825, Rank: Bombardier

Guy, William, Corps: Royal Field Artillery, Regiment No: 270660, Rank: Driver

Guy, William, Corps: Royal Field Artillery, Regiment No: 135342, Rank: Corporal

Guy, William, Corps: Royal Field Artillery, Regiment No: 129921, Rank: Driver

Guy, William, Corps: Royal Field Artillery, Regiment No: 745 Rank: Gunner, Acting Bombardier

Regiment No: 745 Rank: Serjeant

Regiment No. 685079 Rank: Serjeant.

None of these men are listed on the CWGC website so I guess they all survived the war, which means that none of them can be eliminated as possibles through that line of enquiry.

I'm not too hot on Artillery ranks but I believe Driver and Gunner were ranks on a par with each other so I think we can probably discount the two listed as Drivers, knowing that your GGrandfather was a Gunner.

I don't know if any of our forum Artillery experts can throw any light on the service numbers of the men shown, it's worth asking the question elsewhere on the forum though, they may be abe to give you additional clues.

Again more questions than answers but I hope this helps.

Steve

Bbr. William Guy, 675825

675001-680000 275 Brigade, RFA TF (formerly 1/1 West Lancs)

Gunner William Guy (745 pre-renumbering, 685079 afterwards)

680001-685000 276 Brigade, RFA TF (formerly 1/2 West Lancs)

The second of these would probably be local to Lancashire as he was a fairly early member of the Brigade with that number. Territorial men were part-timers before the war so would be fairly near to their units drill hall)

The other three are impossible to place by numbers but would be New Army men, the first two, at least, volunteers.

Steve.

Many thanks for both your contributions.

I'll try one of the other forums then to see if someone can help shed more light on the service numbers.

I do think it is likely that the William C - whose MIC records I purchased is most likely to be the one because the MIC mentions the Gloucester Regiment.

He later settled in Gloucester (though originally from Bristol) so this seems like the initial man to chase.

I know there were army barracks in Colchester so it seems to make sense that he might have been stationed there before active service in France.

I suppose if his service number ties up with those that were at Colchester he might start to look even more likely.

I'm not sure about the Lancs soldiers? William C's father was from Lincolnshire.

Anyway - I feel like I learned a lot in one day - this is an immensely useful forum. :)