Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC - William Guy - G-Grandfather

Guest jadeguy

Hi

I wondered if anyone might be able to offer me help with interpretation of a medal card. Or confirm that what I think is correct?

William C Guy

Gunner with Royal Field Artillery - can I glean any more information - like what division he served with from his regimental number?

Did he serve in France? Landing on 14 Sept 1916?

He had 3 medals - Star, British and Victory but they were returned?

What does RE mean and is there any more info that can be found out from my great-grandfathers medal card?

Appreciate any help.

Thankspost-10501-1138242112.jpg

hi yes he served in france yes that was the date of entry, RE is royal engineers ansd yes it looks like the medals were returned (but I cant read it clearly on my laptop). It may have been for a simple correction. gareth

Thanks Gareth.

I have included a blown up version of the comments

I wondered if it would make sense if the first half of the lower comment said....

"2nd initial C"

and what could it mean?

I'm trying to deduce what William did once he got to France

and I presume the date he landed will provide a clue to that.

Could the mention of C mean something like C Battalian? And was he with the Royal Field Artillery when he landed or the Royal Engineers or Gloucestershire Regiment?

Again, any pointers appreciated.

post-10501-1138264664.jpg

I think the C is his middle initial they probalbly missed it out he wanted it changed sent em back and hopefully were corrcted and sent back. Note where his name is has a C which looks like it was a later addition. Gareth

Thank so much

That would make sense since his (William C Guy) father is also William Guy and also with the Royal Field Artillery.

His father was born 1865 so I'm not sure if he would have served in WWI.

There are other MIC's for a William Guy but it is difficult to know if any of them belonged to my GG Grandfather as he has no middle initial that I know of.

Thank you once again. :)

His father was born 1865 so I'm not sure if he would have served in WWI.

It is possible; that a Man born in 1865; would be serving in WW1,but as he would be in his 50s by 1915,he is more likely to be on Home Service,or as a senior NCO/WO,etc;