Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle for Mt Grappa Italy

Guest Standtoo

Hi

This is all a bit sketchy Whilst looking for infomation about MMG Corp in Gratham just for my interest because of my great uncle Tom was MMG Corp died of wounds 1918. I came across a book that stated that the MMG companies of 9th(Scotish)Dv marched from Belgium to Italy to support the Italians action on Mt Grappa. That was some march? I believe the Italians were ready to pack it in. I am now not sure of the dates but it might have been because the worsing situation in Belgium in 1918 The MMG companies returned by train. Looks like GHQ didnt mind them walking down there but wanted them back in Belgium pretty fast.

Is this well documented or was it all hush hush. Does anybody have any information of Brits in action on the Italian front

cheers Bob

AFAIK, 9 Div did not serve in Italy. "The British Army in Italy 1917-1918" by John and Eileen Wilkes is pretty good on the subject.

There is an episode of marching into battle - as an example 11th Sherwood Foresters were brought by train to Mantua/Mantova. They then marched 174 kilometres in ten days. Four days later they took over a portion of the front line on the R. Piave. Other 23 Div units have similar experiences.

11SF left Italy mid-September 1918 to go back to the Western Front.

Hi Greenwoodman thanks for the info so Brits did see action in Italy. I will find that book ASAP. Its certain 9(scots) div did not serve in Italy, however there was this bit of info of the MMG coys being detached and sent into Italy. I wondered if this was a covert opperation, or was it general Knowledge.

Cheers Bob

If the MG Coys were detached to Italy it will be recorded somewhere. The Order of Battle of Divisions records the 9th MG Bn was formed out of 26th, 27th, 28th & 197th MG Coys on 01/03/18, but does not indicate that they were ever detached away from the 9th Division.

Hi Greenwood thanks for info we seem to be singing off the same song sheet, thats the point I am making we Know 26,27,28, etc MG coys supported their 26,27,28 Bdg of 9th(scots)Div respectivley prior to March 1918 restructering. However there is no mention of this Italian campaign in 9th Dv accounts. I cant find any info on any MMG Coys being detached to the Italian front apart from this snipit in Grantham, thats why I am thinking is it covert and why

Many thanks Bob