Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers What Unit

Guest sapper9321

Guest sapper9321

Hi,I am trying to trace which unit of the Royal Engineers my Great Uncle was in .18128 2nd Cpl R Whitting MM.His citation for the MM was in the London Gazette 14th November 1916.

On his medal card at Kew it does not say which unit only RE.

Thanks John

Have you checked both his cards?

Medal card of Whitting, Robert

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers 18128 Lance Corporal

Royal Engineers 18128 Acting Serjeant

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=3

The above card is his Campaign Medals card (likely no unit mentioned)

and:

Medal card of Whitting, R

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers 18128 Corporal

This second one is just for the MM. It is likely to mention the unit.

Have you checked that second one?

Steve.

Guest sapper9321
Have you checked both his cards?

Medal card of Whitting, Robert

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers 18128 Lance Corporal

Royal Engineers 18128 Acting Serjeant

The above card is his Campaign Medals card (likely no unit mentioned)

and:

Medal card of Whitting, R

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers 18128 Corporal

This second one is just for the MM. It is likely to mention the unit.

Have you checked that second one?

Steve.

Guest sapper9321

Hi Steve,thanks for taking the trouble to help,the the copy I got from the archives does mention the acting Serjant as well the 2nd Cpl.The only other thing on the card is sect "B".

Thanks John.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sapper9321

I have found the unit ,55th Field Company.They where in the 7th Division 19/10/14 to 05/15 then attached to the Guards Division until 11/1918.

The War Diary states the following from 25/09/16 to 30/09/16 when I belive the MM was awared.

55 Field Coy.R.E Vol 14 25.9.16 Carnoy.

Sappers paraded at 6.0 a.m.Proceeded to advanced assembly trenches at T7d.6.7. 12.35pm.1st & 3rd Guards Bdes attacked LES BOEUFS from MIRROR & BLIGHTY trenches and succeded in occupying their third objective despite of the failure of the R Bds 21st Div on their left.

Work:-No 1 Sect Put 220 y trench wire on the defensive flank left from N 33 d 5.6-N 33 d 2.4.Also wired block in trench at N 32 d.8.2.

No 2 Sect Wired in M.G Emplacements covering sunk road N.33.d.1.4 dug c.t from empts to fire trench.

No 3 Sect Constructed and wired a strong point at N34 a.2.1 using old german gun positions.Stores carried by 150 Pioniers (4th C.G)

No 4 Sect In reserve.

NO CASUALTIES(this was underlined twice).

No 3 & 4 Sects Wiring front line from N.34 c.7.4 to strong points N 34 a.3.1,wiring round strong points improved and completed.

Nos 1 & 2 Sects Moved back into shelters at GUILLEMONT-NO CASUALTIES.Pack animals were found to be the only useful transport.

Carnoy 30.9.16.

Mounted section.Cyclists and transport paraded at 6.45 am and marched to DAOURES-arriving in BIVOUAC at 5 pm;Route via MORLANCOURT,VAUX-SUR-SOMME,CORBIE and AUBIGNY.

Dismouted sections paraded at 9 am and marched to sandpit camp near MEAULTE,arriving in BIVOUAC at 1.30 pm.

No 18128 a/Cpl R Whitting and No 24035 Spr E Morgan Awared Military Medal 25.9.16.

If anyone knows what section these two were in if would be off help Thanks

John.

John

An RE section in WW1 was the equivilent of an infantry platoon. Unless the war diary specifically mentions what section he was in, or there is a map indicating where the works were taking place, you will not be able to find out. However, a check through the diary may mention section officers which may give you a clue if there was an operational order.

Terry Reeves

John

If Whitting was awarded the MM in September 1916, the actions for which it was awarded will have taken place at least 3 months prior top the award being issed.

Cheers.

John and John,

An entry in the WAR DIARY not the London Gazette would usually be anything between a week and a month after the award. The 3 month average delay was to promulgation in the Gazette.

2nd Cpl. Whitting's MM was Gazetted on 14-11-1916. 25-9-1916 is a little close but I've seen MMs gazetted within six weeks before.

I think John is right looking at 25.9.1916

Steve.

No 18128 a/Cpl R Whitting and No 24035 Spr E Morgan Awared Military Medal 25.9.16.

In what context is this line?

If it is in the war diary on the 30-9-1916, with the date stated as 25-9-1916, I would think that that would mean it was won on that date.

Steve.

Guest sapper9321

Hello Steve

After the diary for the 30.9.16 ,two lines under the following was written

No 18128 a/Cpl R Whitting}Awarded Military Medal

No 24035 Spr E Morgan} 25.9.16.

Would I be right in thinking the actions took place around Morval 25-28 Sept 1916.

Thanks

John

Yes,

The Guards Division were in action at Morval from the 25th September.

That looks to me like both men won the MM on the 25th, most likely at Morval.

Steve.

P.S. By the way. How did you manage to track his unit in the end?

Guest sapper9321

Hello Steve

Thanks for your input,you were right to say check the other medal card,then when I knew the unit ,I checked the war dairy.I know I was lucky to find a mention for the MM,this dairy was very well written by a man who also added the accent to the place names.

I have read another Royal Engineers dairy for the 59th Field Coy whilst looking for R Whittings Brother H Whitting 9321 which was also well written .

My plan is too compile the 55th & 59th Field Company War.

Thanks again

John

John,

Royal Engineers information is few and far between. I'm sure people will appreciate any information you can provide from your research.

Hope you can narrow things down even further, though a section number might be pushing your luck!

Would love just to ID my GGF's unit!!

Good luck,

Steve.

Guest sapper9321

Hello Steve

Thanks for luck,how far have you got with your research.

The information I have to date points me to reading the War Diarys of the Guards, I have read that on the 25/09/16 the Barrage failed to cut the wire where they were, the Guards have mentioned this in their Dairy,and this could be where the two MMs from the R.E were won.

Any info I shall post

Thanks

John

I have his RE number (from his VM) Sapper Herbert Beeby 71127

His MIC gives France, date of entry 9-10-1915. 1914-15 Star, VM, BWM. To class Z Reserve in 1919.

No surviving service record or helpful entries in either medal roll.

Many numbers around him seem to be Signal Company men of various types.

A family story of telegraph poles (either before or after the war) and that he might have been a signaller.

His sons marriage certificate in 1920 on which he is stated as GPO overhead lineman (as was his son). He was a brickyard labourer pre-war AFAIK, so there seems to have been a catalyst for his change of skills.

The newspaper report of his eldest sons death has him and his younger son serving in France with the Royal Engineers (mid-1917).

No births or marriages recorded during the war years.

Haven't yet found an absent voters list for Stanground, Hunts. (Hunts CRO?)

I suspect he may have served with a Corps Signal Company, Airline Section, etc.

No trace of him being wounded, etc. in local papers.

He survived, no known decorations.

I need to find whether an AVL still exists. Then trawl the Corps Signal Coy. War Diaries, etc.

Needle. Haystack.

If you find him in your War Diaries, you'll let me known, won't you...

Steve.