Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Colonial Horse.

Malcolm

Malcolm

I am no expert but this may be an allusion to King Edward's Horse (The King's Oversea Dominions Regiment)

For Details of 1KEH see http://www.regiments.org/milhist/uk/cav-ye...n/LonCo4KEH.htm and Chris's mothersite.

2KEH was formed in London on 10.8.14 from overseas volunteers and arbitarily dubbed 2KEH by the War Office, The Regiment went served in F/F from 4.5.15 being dismounted from 27.1.16. Returning to England 6.8.17 it was absorbed into the Tank Corps.

A Reserve Squadron in Ireland suffered a few Casualties during the Eater Rising 1916.

As I say I'm no expert and I could be completly wrong.

Dave

I have found a photo of the above unit searching farmhouses in Belgium. Can anyone tell me who they were and where from?

Hi Malcolm:

I think the guys you're looking for are an interesting band of men known as The Legion of Frontiersmen of The Commonwealth. Check out this site to see if they fit the bill. There are a couple of pictures on the web site; maybe you can cross reference your photo.

Garth

• 1 year later...
Gareth,

That's them! The photos fit. Thanks, I'll notify the others in the chat room who were discussing it.

Good one.

Aye

Malcolm

In ref to the BCH:

For anyone that comes is still looking for info on this subject the "British Colonial Horse" or BCH they were indeed members of the Legion of Frontiersmen. This was a small unit of somewhere between 20-30 Legion volunteers under Capt H E Nowell. They were sometimes also called "Canadian Horse" by the 3rd Belgian Lancers whom they were attached to due to their "smasher hats." (felt hats).

They arrived in Ostend on the 6th of October 1914 and went straight onto active service as the 5th Platoon of the 3rd Belgium Lancers. On March the 23rd 1915 the unit was at Wulpan near Furnes when they got orders to disband this unit

Capt Nowell whom had commanded this unit was awarded the Order of the Crown (BELG), Cpl R Reading was awarded the Order of Leopold and all other members were awarded the Yser Medal.

I currently have the names of about 9 members and some details on them if anyone has the names or any other details of this unit they can contact me via the Legion website in Australia at www.frontiersmen.org.au or post them here at the GWF.

Regards

LF Historian